Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 04-28-2012, 03:44 AM
Swap Hosts

I just discovered this thread and am so glad I did. I started out making religious themed art quilts and then joined this board and the Doll Quilt Swap. Linda - SewExtremeSeams - was one of my partners. My doll quilts usually don't look like anything you'd want to put on a doll. Here are a few of them. Linda received the bright one which was entitled "Just Look Away"

By the way, we're doing crazy quilts this month at the Doll Quilt swap, so if you're interested, please join!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 2012 2.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	331358   Click image for larger version

Name:	wolf quilt 1.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	331359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Just Look Away 1.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	331361  
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
Hi sistadebbra ----I love purple and I think you block is good. It let me download the pdf. Yay....

Had I made it I think I would have put the bigger circles diagonal from each other and and in the 'cradles' of the purple. Did you think of that and not like it?

I'll bet 4 of those would make a lovely wall hanging for the bathroom. I like entertainment in the smaller rooms of the house.
You go girl! Good luck on that Q you are finishing for your daughter
Okay, I did another one using your suggestion and loving it. I also made another change. I hope this download comes through!!!

The second wallhanging was done about 4 years ago, the 4 blocks are machine piece and the quilting, embroidery and applique are by hand.

Name:	DSC01326.JPG
Views:	642
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	331777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01333.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	975.4 KB
ID:	331778  

Last edited by sistahdebbra; 04-29-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: had another thought to write down
Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 AM

I am new to art quilting. A friend and I have the same interest so we are taking learning fabric painting, thread painting, fabric stamping and more. Personally I incorporate some or all of these in a project and using fabrics of all types, threads, and more. We have dyed our own fabrics and now I personally am starting to paint on fabric. I have just purchased a new embellisher machine and also a serger which I will use to incorporate materials in my projects.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Your revised black and white block turned out great and I love the quilt with the kids kite flying. Wonderful!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Welcome aboard clzurz. You and your friend with like interest make for a wonderful art quilting buddy system. It's always more fun when we share the journey together. You gals have gotten off to a good start it sounds like to me, and I hope you post some photos of your work. My embellisher machine hasn't gotten much mileage on it since I bought it a couple years ago so my plan is to play more with it this year. So many possibilities! Have fun with it.

Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
I am new to art quilting. A friend and I have the same interest so we are taking learning fabric painting, thread painting, fabric stamping and more. Personally I incorporate some or all of these in a project and using fabrics of all types, threads, and more. We have dyed our own fabrics and now I personally am starting to paint on fabric. I have just purchased a new embellisher machine and also a serger which I will use to incorporate materials in my projects.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 AM

MAY Challenge Theme

"THE UNSEEN"

I am fascinated with the parts of life and the world we can't see easily. Cell structures under the microscope. Debris in outer space. Quartz crystals close up. The deep ocean.

Our emotions-- Love? Rage? Hope? Your brain waves. Soothing music. Your EKG spikes... Or anything we don't usually see without stopping to look. What are you feeling this week? What have you seen that is easily missed? Portraying anything in this category in fabric seemed like an interesting idea.

Any type of technique you want to try from the simple and effective heat n' bond applique, to hanging weird bits of yarn off the edges of a psuedo coral, gentle color washes for a gentle dream state, could work here.

Here are a few starter websites for ideas;
http://pinterest.com/smokethatrises/...-is-beautiful/
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2012/0...om/?src=footer

Looking forward to what you all come up with and hoping to see many works you start. Remember that many of us are here with ideas (Both good and bad) to spur you on to try some slightly or wildly different ideas.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 AM

Sistadebra----

sistadebra------------oooh! Very nice. The kite fliers are inventive as usual. Such fun and movement.

Is there going to be color added to the B&W? Just curious.

Love to see what you are up to next.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 AM

Welcome clsurz! Can't wait to see what you have created.

You and Judebug mentioned an embellisher machine. I do not have a clue as to what either of you are talking about. Please enlighten me... lol!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 AM

You might want to check craftsy.com; they offer classes for this. You can get their classes half price every few months and the you have access to them forever.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 AM

Sistadebbra, I love the movement with your kite flyers, especially the little girl... she is really struggling! Here is a kite flyer I did for a doll quilt swap. The tree is raw edge applique with FMQ added for the branches. The kite sticks are beaded and the embroidery is by hand. It is the first time I made up my own movement in FMQ on the sky. I had lots of fun creating it.

Name:	made february 2012.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	332351  

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 05-02-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: forgot to add the photo... LOL