Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who has found odd things in packaged food? >

Who has found odd things in packaged food?

Who has found odd things in packaged food?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Now to really gross you out...the FDA (Food & Drug Administration - government dept who oversees food processing, etc) ALLOWS a certain amount of insect parts, droppings, hairs, foreign materials to be in our food! Yuck! Usually these are measured in ppm or parts per million. Sorry, I really don't even want one in my food, but we just can't avoid it. Even if we can't see it, the contaminates are in there. Food for thought, hm???
Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Once, while I was just ready to pull my spoon to my mouth of cold cereal, I found ants floating in the milk, and once when my now ex-husband was ready to eat soup, he had worms floating in the bowl. I wrote a letter to the soup company and they sent me couponds for free cans, needless to say I never used them. One just never knows.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 PM

To all of you ladys & gents , when you buy flour or any grain product, you should put in freezer for about a week to kill all of the bugs that are naturely in the grains. flour has a worm so small that you cant see with your necked eye if it is ground with the flour they hatch and become a mealy bug, hence black bugs ,freeze all and no more bugs .,, Dottie Bug
Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 PM

I got a chunk of some metal in a can of corned beef hash from Hormel. I returned the hunk of metal (what they use to seal the can) and asked for my money back. I got a case of the stuff. It never hurts to complain...

Anita in Northfield, MN
Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 PM

I was helping with a quick pasta meal at my daughter's house and when we sat down to eat it her BF encountered a sharp piece of broken glass. The only item with glass that come near that food was the jar of spaghetti sauce, and the jar itself was completely undamaged. It could have caused serious injury, but luckily the young man noticed it in time. We went through the rest of what was left and found more glass, obviously from part of a similar jar. DD notified the company that made the sauce.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 AM

About 30 years ago, my husband took a swig out of a can of Sprite soda and there was the filtered end of a cigarette in the can. He spit that out and didn't drink Sprite for several years!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 AM

I found a human tooth that came from a bag of frozen peas while I was cooking them on the stove....I could not imagine why there was a clicking noise while I was stirring them..... EEEWWWW!!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

Ooooooohhhh! Yucky!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug View Post
To all of you ladys & gents , when you buy flour or any grain product, you should put in freezer for about a week to kill all of the bugs that are naturely in the grains. flour has a worm so small that you cant see with your necked eye if it is ground with the flour they hatch and become a mealy bug, hence black bugs ,freeze all and no more bugs .,, Dottie Bug
Excellent tip. I put all my grains, flours, wild rice in the freezer, not for just a week. I keep them in there until I need them and then put them back. I gave our son a sleeve of Premium Saltines to eat with his Chili and he called me to take a look. Loaded with bugs, just loaded. I put them in a bag, took them back to the store, called up the manufacturer and got coupons and apologies all over the place. You know, we all have to be our own advocates, right????? Edie
PS - Happy Eating!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

My DD had a fly in her hamburger and McDonalds. They acted like it was not true and we added the fly.Twice, different occasions, there were flies on those foot long sandwiches from subway. A big piece of pottery in the bowl of soup at the Olive Garden. My DH cut his mouth on that one. When we showed the piece of pottery they made it seem like we planted it. What is upsetting to me is that when we found stuff in the restaurants they offered nothing and acted like it was our fault. I think it would have been simple to offer my DD another hamburger. We never went to the Olive Garden again. I found a cigarette but under my last bite of food on a plate in a hospital cafeteria. Apparently some one had used it as an ash tray and then served food on it. Gag! Life worms on packaged fish from Costco. (sea bass)

A raw egg in the bottom of a closed Heineke beer bottle. A box of browny mix from Costco with lots of those black flies inside the closed bag of mix. The store tried to make it like it happened at our house. I pointed out the bag was not open and I had just bought it the week before. Expiration date on box proofed me right. I got my money back.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 05-06-2012 at 05:34 AM.