Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
If you have read the thread about the quilting machine that was gifted to me...here's a couple of pictures so you will know what one looks like if you don't already. ;) >

If you have read the thread about the quilting machine that was gifted to me...here's a couple of pictures so you will know what one looks like if you don't already. ;)

If you have read the thread about the quilting machine that was gifted to me...here's a couple of pictures so you will know what one looks like if you don't already. ;)

Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by RDM
So pleased this machine found a happy home where it will be put to good use.
Thank you. I just hope I can learn to use it and do it some justice. ;)
Old 10-14-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by BarbM32
I am so happy for you. What with 5 children this will be a blessing when you learn to use it well. Even when you are still in the learning stages remember not to give your work away. Your in-home time is most valuable. Tell your customers you are learning but still must charge something. Been there, done that, and the most happy were the paying ones and this included family who felt theirs should be free. Free do not buy kids food and clothes.
Always make tickets with their name, address, ect, exact size of unit to quilt, price per sq inch or sq foot, if they want you to bind and I did so be sure to include cost for that, the color of backing, color of thread and if you will be using your batting or theirs, write down anything out of the ordinary like whether it has dirt spots, as I said anything, so you cannot be blames. If it is not square then you can square it for additional charge. Also the MOST IMPORTANT THING you should do is check with your insurance about liability for outsiders coming into your home for business purposes. WOULD NOT HURT FOR YOU TO GET ON LINE AND SEE WHAT OTHER LONGARM QUILTERS ARE DOING PRICEWISE AND EVERYTHING ELSE. Happy days are ahead for you, greet each with joy. BarbM32
Barb, Thank you!! ;) This is such good advise. I will definitely do what you have said. I will value this info if something was to come up! SO, better to do it ahead of time than to worry about being in trouble in the end! ;) Thank you.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:09 AM

Nice, nice, nice.....what a gift!!! A restaurant gift card or Home Depot card is a nice thank you gift....
Old 10-17-2011, 12:59 AM

Who needs a weight room when you can have a quilting machine. Lucky you. Just remember, have FUN!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 AM

So good that you can have this. She would be happy knowing that it will still be used.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 AM

Hi Angie;

I purchased the SAME quilt machine in October, 2011, how funny!! I received the table, pantographs and machine for $300.00. I have the instruction book also. If you need a copy of it let me know. The information in the book isn't very detailed, but its something. I was glad to see your photos, it helped me to see the thread set up. I am trying to get the machine timed...it keeps breaking threads. Any ideas from you or anyone that has used a DIAL-A-QUILT, I would love to hear from you.

Good luck Angie!

Cheri
Old 01-24-2012, 04:48 PM

It appears...that Bob is a short arm too....haha. Some people have all the luck, congratulations. I think you will make great use of it. and have a lot of fun. maybe you can find a local long arm quilter that can share some tips with you or something.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM

Lucky lady, you will love it, take your time and you will do great
Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM

What a wonderful surprise - too bad about the circumstance - you will have lots of fun figuring it out - can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM

Hi Cheri, I too have a Design-A-Quilt. When mine was acting up after I got it and set it up, It was because I hadn't secured the thread post above the machine with a small set screw. After that and getting it threaded correctly, (make sure bobbin is inserted correctly) I found I was so lost in it that the bobbins didn't appear to hold any thread. I make trips to cloud nine when thinking deeply, and the time just flew. I would like to keep in touch and see how you are making out with it.

FREE Quilting Newsletter