Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
disappointing day vending at a craft fair >

disappointing day vending at a craft fair

disappointing day vending at a craft fair

Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
I just looked at your etsy site, and I have a suggestion for the future. Your ornaments are gorgeous. How about making some like them into pincushions. From this Board's recent pincushion swap, I'll bet you would sell a lot of them. Just something to think about. I love your work.
Thanks for both the compliment and the idea - that is an excellent thought!

Alison
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ View Post
There were lots of people walking around? So it really wasn't lack of marketing?
Well, by the end of the day (when I had seen the same people mooch by several times) I realized that a large proportion of the traffic was other vendors and their family members/helpers! And I walked around the fair and didn't buy much, so I am part of the problem! (I did buy a gorgeous original painting of an octopus...)

Alison
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I always use to get, "Oh my, someone has been busy!" and "I have a quilt at home that I started - I have to get around to finishing it one of these days."
I was kind of hoping for the "I have a quilt that needs finishing" comment to come up at the fair, because that is something I do as a custom quilter. I have made/finished many a quilt that the original crafter got bogged down on, ran out of time to finish, or abandoned after deciding that quilting just wasn't for them. I guess everyone at the craft show has no UFOs...snort.

Alison
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
Well, by the end of the day (when I had seen the same people mooch by several times) I realized that a large proportion of the traffic was other vendors and their family members/helpers! And I walked around the fair and didn't buy much, so I am part of the problem! (I did buy a gorgeous original painting of an octopus...)

Alison
Now THAT is something I would like to see a picture of!!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. It could be a sign of the economy. When money is tight, people don't buy a lot of extras that they can live without, no matter how beautiful the quilt or the item is. When you have to decide whether to buy a quilt or craft item or put gas in your car and food on the table, gas and food wins.

Norma
Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 AM

I attended several craft fairs this year and last...even participated in a couple of them...all were based around the holidays or big events in the area, and I only sold a few things from my table as did the other vendors. I will add that these events were yearly events, and had been going on for years. I think the economy has really taken its toll on a lot of consumer spending...especially gifts and such.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 AM

I agree with many other comments that crafts are gone by the wayside now. I've seen that in my travels that craft shows just don't seem to work anymore. Plus, I think people have tightened up on their spending. Yes, they're also mostly looking for ideas to go home & make themselves. I used to do the same thing.

I find that quilt shows are now more popular & are well attended.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM

I did a craft show 30 years ago and was told by a "friend" that the product wasn't worth buying because it was homemade.
Last craft show I ever did. Now I only make things for real friends and family. Also as donations. It is so much more gratifying.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 AM
elm

In my area crafters do well when combined with fresh markets or well established gallery walks.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Whatever u do, don't set up the first time a specialty show or sale has related vendors. In
southeast TX I set up an attractive booth at a herb society sale and sold 2 items--total cost to consumers $10 less than cost of booth. People walked out with trays of herbs and plants though. I learned that this show is definitely not my style.