Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
DH thinks I'm hearing things >

DH thinks I'm hearing things

DH thinks I'm hearing things

Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 PM

"Not hearing sounds on my TV but a few weeks ago the sound got so low I had to turn it all the way as loud as it would go to hear it. Seems to be working better now but some channels are lower than others. "

Us too. We had the volumn level at its highest to hear the TV. One of the Comcast 'zapps' we got changed that so now we have the volumn level in the middle or lower.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Not sure who your service provider or the type of housing you have but I'll tell you the short saga of a friend of mine. They have Comcast cable. Live in a townhouse community. Bought a new, digital HD TV for their living room. Have an existing digital HD TV in their downstairs family room and existing analog TV's in a guest room and their bedroom. Comcast charges them for converter boxes for ALL the TV's, even the digital that should not need one. Because Comcast can. Anyhow. After a few months, starting having reception issues on the new LR TV. Called Comcast. They came, they zapped, they left. A couple of weeks later, same story, same resolution. Then it progressed to only getting 2 stations on the analog stations. Comcast zapped repeatedly. They came to the house about 6-8 times. Finally, another appointment was scheduled. As far as my friend knew, they were a no-show. By now, she has completely lost it (but very politely because that's who she is) with Comcast and demanded they come back. Come to find out, the 'no show' was actually work done on a 'booster' component at a different location from her home. It sounds like you may have a similar situation. I can get the proper technical terms from her tomorrow night if you're interested.
Hi Kim, We have Comcast and I would appreciate the proper technical terms as DH is planning to going down to their office.

Last edited by May in Jersey; 05-07-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I have ATT Uverse...the worst TV since the old three channel rabbit ears, if you ask me. I have a brand new digital HD TV in my bedroom that stays on all night, without sound (cause I like it for a night light...); and several times, in the middle of the night, I have been startled awake by a very loud voice coming from my TV. I'm going to call them BEFORE
I shoot the TV thinking someone has broken in...I really think it's all coming from AT&T. They offer the poorest service I can think of and the pricing is terrible as well. Direct TV, here I come (back, again!). Guess they haven't heard that we're not at their mercy any more...
We get those ear shattering messages, mostly in the middle of the night and you can't mute them. Hardly ever understood what they were saying but found out mainly of Amber Alerts for missing children.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM

Oh, Rebecca, I hear you... and that constant buzzing. I hear certain types of lightbulbs (fluorescent & high efficiency)and frequencies around the house... very annoying.

May - Sometimes our remote volumn gets out of wack with the TV volumn and it results in a buzzing. If the remote gets turned way down then someone else turns the TV volumn way up, it buzzes. Or the other way around - TV volumn down, remote turned way up to compensate.

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
Ditto tho I explain mine as sounding like locust (is that what they're called?). Sometimes it's louder than others. Sometimes I can hardly hear it but other times it's almost a roar.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM

When a program moves to the commercal the volume goes up high . I complain it is too loud but
my DH says the stations always make them louder. He has worked in radio and TV.

Okey so I'm not deft and I blame him for turning it up too loud.
You propably are getting the results of bad programing. Or a buzz on the line someplace too.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

You're not hearing things, well things that are not there anyway. Women have better hearing than men. my hubby turns the volume up on the C omcast remote and also on the t.v. regular remote. That blasts me out of the main floor with him- I watch t.v. in the basement. when he's on the same channel that i'm on, i mute mine and just listen to his t.v.
Those sounds you hear are there but companies will only do so much to help customers. Good luck!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
The sounds aren't constant as I only hear them when watching TV, this began a few weeks ago, As I mentioned it isn't all the time but when it starts it is for every program, day and night. After getting zapped (don't know what else to call is ) by the cable company the sound on the TV is clear for a few days and then slowly begins to deteriorate again.
Do you live in an area where they are building new homes? When we had cable our signal would get worse every time they added a new residence to the mix. They would boost our signal and things would be better for a little while---until they added more new residences---then it would be worse again. They were splitting the signal too many times. We finally gave up and got satellite tv.

NJS
Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM

I've heard that this problem will end by next year? Stations will no longer be able to increase volume for commercials.

Originally Posted by Flo Pierce View Post
When a program moves to the commercal the volume goes up high . I complain it is too loud but
my DH says the stations always make them louder. He has worked in radio and TV.

Okey so I'm not deft and I blame him for turning it up too loud.
You propably are getting the results of bad programing. Or a buzz on the line someplace too.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM

Among other things, tinnitus is caused by a vast array of the pills you take. Aspirin being among them. Sometimes the "sound" not only gets louder, I can also feel it as a vibration. Sort of like zzzzzzzzzzzzzt going thru my head. LOL

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
Ditto tho I explain mine as sounding like locust (is that what they're called?). Sometimes it's louder than others. Sometimes I can hardly hear it but other times it's almost a roar.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM

You may have developed tinnitus. It's a condition where you hear a sound that isn't there. It comes and goes for some people and is constant for others. See an Ear, Nose, Throat Dr to check it. It can be caused by something as benign as ear wax build up, but could also be a sign of more serious medical issues.