Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retirement....what state and why? >

Retirement....what state and why?

Retirement....what state and why?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:56 AM

No doubt it would be Montana. The weather is so nice in the summer with no humidity & not that much snow, depending on where you are, no sales tax & beautiful mountains!!
Only we will be going to Minnesota to be with grandchildren! It will be worth it! But first have to sell our home.
Good luck!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 AM

I was hoping to retire in the Black Hills of South Dakota BUT they have the worst medical/hospital (rapid city) that I have ever been to. We choose to retire in Kingland, TX. No state income taxes, retirement community, no snow (hubby happy) great property deals and Llano County property taxes are extremely low. Within one hour of the 7th best hospital in the nation for its size (Fredericksburg TX) and 50 minutes from Austin Heart Hospital (top3 in nation). AND has a wonderful, great, quilt shop.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 AM

When we retired 27 yrs. ago, we relocated to East Tn. from Mi. We considered lots of places but can't stand the humidity of the coastal SE and Fl., loved four seasons, wanted an area away from the fierce weather some areas get, also wanted to be near enough to our extended family to be able to get "home" to see all in a matter of hours. Our son lives here, our daughter in Tx. but looking to move in this area soon. Taxes are not too bad, no State Income Tax and the people are just "down home" kind of people, we love it here.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 AM

I want to be where my family lives, so I stayed right here smack dab in Kentucky. I love being close to friends and those I love. I can always travel, but there's no place like home.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 AM

I was born and raised in the east. Taxes I hear are very high there. I have family that lives on the sun coast of Fl and they say taxes are very high there.
I now live on the eastern side of Arizona. Taxes are reasonable. Only downside not near major shopping area.
I love it here. More relaxed
Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 AM

I was living in central calif when I retired. Then that state pretty much priced me out ...I moved to the northwest. washington state where my oldest son lived. had visited a few times and really like it here. Learning to deal with winter again. (born and raised in up state new york) House and car paid for, new friends, no state tax (though our sales tax is a bit high) and beautiful scenery everywhere. So I guess this is where I will live out my life. smile...
Old 05-11-2012, 09:31 AM

4 years ago we moved to Houston. Certainly the weather wasn't the reason: Family wins everytime. Our DS, DIL, and DG were the reasons. They've since added twin GS. We told them we moved for family, but didn't realize they were adding them in batches. Our choice was between Houston and Toronto. We didn't want to change countries. I'd still prefer the California climate, but grandkids beat all.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM
mah

I go along with Joset; I love North Dakota and the 4 seasons. I was born and raised her and then moved away for 30 plus years and do to certain circumstances I moved back 12yrs ago. It is a great place if you live alone. Always feel safe.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Born and raised in Arkansas. I've never lived anywhere else and plan to finish out my life here. My three daughters and my grandchildren are close by and I could not leave them.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM

I'm with you Joset. I'm in Iowa and know it's not quite like ND in the winter, but I do hate the hot, humid weather we usually have in summer. I don't mind the winters--never have. I like Michigan. I lilke CA, but as much time I have spent there, I don't believe I'd like it as a permanent location. As you can see, I'm Iowa born and bred, have lived here all my life and will be here to the end---whenever that happens.