GoodWill auctions

Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
No. Someone else already put in a maximum bid that was higher than yours. Example:

I see something on the GW site. I put in a bid of $100.00, but the opening bid is only $9.95. You come along and put in a bid of $50.00, it's going to bump my bid up to $51.00....and it will sit there until someone else bids again. It will automatically outbid you until you bid more than my original $100.00 bid.
this is how ebay works too...if your outbide immediately you know someone started really high
Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 AM

I put in a bid on EBAY last week of $50 for a black 301 A and there were no other bids. when it closed it was mine and there was no reserve. It arrives today with Fed Ex shipping.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I don't like the way they package things - I will only do pick up.
Ditto here Miriam. Goodwill employees for the most part do not know how to ship a sewing machine to avoid damage.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I put in the maximum that I'm willing to pay, (considering shipping as well) and call it good. If I win, I'm happy, if I don't there's another one around the corner.

You may not have to pay as much as your maximum bid...only if someone else bids up to it...
Exactly. I put in the maximum amount I am willing to pay, then I don't look back. If you start chasing it, bidding against another person $1 at a time, you can easily end up spending much more than you would have if you stuck to your original maximum bid. It takes willpower....believe me....not one of my strong character traits, but when it comes to auctions, I have learned my lesson the hard way!!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM

I don't like the way they do the bidding. They should show the high bid and go from there
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 AM

I've had nothing but very good experiences with my purchases through shopgoodwill.com. I won my favorite sewing machine, a Husqvarna Viking Model 21A for $39.00 plus about $24.00 for shipping. I emailed a request with my payment to please pack it very carefully, even if it would cost a bit extra. The machine was in its original case and was cushioned both inside and outside the case very well. The manager of that particular store also emailed me to assure that she would supervise the packing herself. I was absolutely delighted that everything was intact when I received it. Sometimes all it takes is a simple request and you get great results!

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post

Ditto here Miriam. Goodwill employees for the most part do not know how to ship a sewing machine to avoid damage.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
I don't like the way they do the bidding. They should show the high bid and go from there
It wouldn't work well...you would have to watch the auction like a hawk, and if they show your highest bid from the get-go, that's what you're going to pay even if no one bids against you. I'd rather not have to pay more than I had to...even if I am willing to pay more...
Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM

I have had good luck with Goodwill. But I always ask before I bid. Each store is different so you just don't know unless you ask. When I asked about their experience about shipping a sewing machine they got back to me. The one I got was well packed, double boxed and well padded so was good for me. I also see alot of variation in the estimated shipping costs for goodwill stores. So I always check that before bidding also. I think it is Rochester, NY that puts really high minimum bids on the sewing machines they list and their shipping charges are high too. I just don't bid on their listings.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:08 AM

I've been buying older machines on the Goodwill site for our church's Charity quilting. You DO have to be very careful about the shipping. Always put in your zip and state to find out the charge. You also want to check on the handling fee. Some of the shops charge a fortune in a handling fee, which I feel is a hidden cost.
The other concern I want to warn you about is the damage during shipping. Although they do wrap the item extremely well, the shipping companies must be absolutely throwing the boxes around. Of the 8 or 9 machines I have purchased, I've had to put claims in for three of them due to damage during shipping. I've gotten my money back on all three, but it's annoying to have to deal with it.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM

Default always get insurance

Whenever I buy from either Ebay or Goodwill I send an email making sure that the item is sent with insurance, even if they end up charging me more. I have had good and very bad experiences with shipping. Some packages arrive that could not be damaged if they fell off the truck, others i am amazed that with the flimsy packing of newpaper or a thin sheet that the item arrived at all.