Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
yard sale rescue >

yard sale rescue

yard sale rescue

Old 05-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Lovely find. As for the lady who sold it, like so many others have said, we can't know what she was thinking. Perhaps her mother was a prolific quilter and she has other quilts that she values more. Perhaps she doesn't have any family to leave it for or maybe they don't want the old thing. I know there are some of my family members who would feel the same way. At least she cared enough to attach the note about her mother making it so she wanted the new owner to know that anyway.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Beautiful quilt! Congrats.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 PM

There are a lot of hurting people in the world, perhaps she has to work too hard to remember good things about that person and that relationship. And the other replies could be true too. Just no one to pass them on to.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Some people just don't appreciate the energy and love that goes into a quilt. At least you will appreciate it and give it a good home.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

some people you will never understand..
Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 PM

I agree with you, I don't understand why people just give away things that their relatives made. But then again, I have always appreciated hand made things, especially quilts. My daughter still has the first quilt that I made her when she was 16. There is nothing left of it but the backing and some tattered fabric around the seams. She has it stored in a plastic bag. I'm so glad she appreciates the love and care that went into making it for her and I'm so glad that you got a wonderful quilt to cherish.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 AM

Such a beautiful quilt. Such a shame that the lady didn't want to hang on to it but glad you came to it's rescue.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:31 AM

One cannot understand what we feel like when we finish such a beautiful quilt on our own. We appreciate the fact that our fingers hurt from being stuck many times and the ache in our backs, but we love the outcome. This is very pretty and I am glad you are the one who got it.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:10 PM

She probably didn't have anyone to pass it on to. I find things in GoodWill that have clearly come out of someones estate...and am amazed that no family member wanted them.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:47 AM

After reading everyones comments === we are all very divided on when or whether or nor to part with our loved ones things lol! But thats what makes the world go round My mom would be one to give things away WAY easier then me I have actually scolded her before about things But I have to disagree with the comment about letting things own us I can see that with some things but when it comes to quilts handed down from generation to generation that would fall under the category of a heritage IMO. I do not judge the lady for selling her mother's quilt in the yard sale, I may never understand it but I am thankful i was able to purchase it and have plans to restore it. Thank everyone for their comments very neat to scroll and read all of these!!!