Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I might be the only one who didn't know this but... >

I might be the only one who didn't know this but...

I might be the only one who didn't know this but...

Old 05-13-2012, 05:14 PM

I'm with you on this bearisgray
How do you think things were when we were kids? they didn't have all the junky sanitizers they have today and people lived just fine.
Get over it and move on, there are worst things in this world happening to worry about then a few extra germs.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I'm in favor of good hygiene - but I think we've gone totally overboard on 'sanitizing'

How can our bodies build up any immunity to anything if they never get exposed to anything 'minor'?

Sometimes I think bleaching everything in sight is more harmful than our normal household bacteria.
(Exceptions: if someone comes over with something 'bad' - etc)
Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 PM

During cold and flu season I always use the sanitizers at wal-mart. That is where the germs hang out and I end up with a cold with in the next day or two if I don't pre sanitized the hand rail.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 PM

Are you kidding????? Drinking it???? My god what is next!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Well it is Great to think about all the things we can sanitize to keep the germs at bay.........BUT another thought... how many of you have tried on clothes......pants...shorts...tops etc. taken them home hung them up and wear them without washing them? Well something to think about do you know how many women Don't wear under clothes and they go to the stores and try on clothes all the time.....there is probably men that don't wear under shorts to and try on clothes......UK......UK....UK. I for one have always washed new clothes before I wear them.....because I know of several people that Don't wear underclothes and they try on clothes all the time.

Just a thought there.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:58 PM

If you see the commercials that says the hand sanitizer kills 99% of the germs well that is true. It kills all the weaker ones that keep the stronger germs in check.

I keep my purse on my shoulder, when my son is big enough to use a cart I'm going to buy an insert so he doesn't get all germy and possibly sick.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

And what about the 1% of germs that the hand sanitizers don't kill? Think of all the room that we leave them to have all to themselves!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:51 PM

If we start worrying about things like that we wouldn't leave home. I think people who try to have everything spotlessly clean with no germs are asking for sickness. We have to be able to build our immunity somehow.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:52 PM

I wonder how I made it through the last 50 years of grocery shopping.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

I do think it makes sense to wash one's hands after one gets home from being 'out and about'

I think most of us are 'more or less' used to the flora and fauna in our own homes.

I also think there is a big difference between 'clean' and 'sterile'
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 PM

I always fold the plastic up, but I do it to keep things from falling out of the "leg holes". I agree that we are probably overly concerned about germs and may not build the immunities we should. I wouldn't be surprised if the soap/wipes industries are funding this scare. But to each his own.