Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected fire - beware! >

Unexpected fire - beware!

Unexpected fire - beware!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:25 AM

Hopefully a new day will bring better things to you. I hope your hand is feeling better today. Keep us posted!!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:27 AM

I am so sorry about your burns, but glad you were there to deal with the fire while it was small. When my Rowenta travel iron was less than 6 months old, I stepped out of the sewing room for just a minute. I had the iron plugged in, using it all morning, but when I came back into the room I heard a crackling, hissing sound and tons of steam coming from the iron. By the time I got it unplugged, it had scorched a place on my ironing board, but no flames. I was glad I didn't leave the room for more than a minute. The store I had purchased the iron from replaced it and sent the damaged one to Rowenta.
I think Rowenta owes you the cost of replacing your fabric, ironing board cover and iron and any medical bills you may encounter. Let them know you are posting your story on the internet - maybe that will "build a fire" under them to compensate you. Pun intended! After your story and my experience I am thinking about just trashing my replacement Rowenta travel iron.
I hope your hand heals up very quickly. God Bless,
Linda
Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 AM

WOW I hope you heal well and quickly. That must have been scarey.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:59 AM

Oh my goodness, Thank goodness you are okay. This could have been a disaster. You can always buy more fabric but injury is a whole other thing. Hopefully Rowenta will have an explanation.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Oh, how awful! I hope three things happen for you: Your hand heals quickly, Rowenta makes this as right as they possibly can, and someone here on the board has the fabric you need! Blessings~
Old 05-14-2012, 04:17 AM

I had a Rowena catch fire, too - it was where the cord attched, i think. Couple that with how the several I've had drip uncontrollably just after the warranty runs out and I will never buy another one. Which is too bad, because I like the weight and steam hole pattern on the rowenta. But I feel like the quality is just too poor to warrant the cost.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:24 AM

ouch, burns really hurt too! So sorry this happened to you, hope you hand heals quickly!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 AM

Thumbs up re:Rowenta Iron

First of all, I am very sorry to hear of your burn and the scare with the fire. Having said that, I have more than one Rowenta iron. I have the travel iron, and the steam generator iron. I can't imagine life without either one of these irons. The steam generator iron is quite the work horse. It is on the whole time I am in my sewing room. It is the best iron for craft work that I have ever used. It irons beautifully and can get wrinkles out better than any iron that I have used. Don't recall you saying what iron from Rowenta that caught on fire. Please let us know.

I am a first time poster. This site is awesome!
JudyC
Originally Posted by Kay in Iowa View Post
Oh - to say I had a bad morning would be an understatement. I was piecing the backing for a very special memorial quilt I designed and pieced - which will be auctioned off for a college schlorship memorial fund. My Rowenta travel iron BURST INTO FLAMES as I was using it. It burnt the cord off - it was laying on the floor still plugged in - blackened my rings - blistered my hand and burned a HOLE bigger than a quarter in my backing fabric - WHICH I HAVE NO MORE OF! I was able to get the fire out by putting my other hand over the burning fabric on the ironing board. WHAT A MESS.................my DH came in the house and said "what happened" - "get the burn ointment and meet me in the kitchen" was all I could come up with.

Can't even think about how I'm going to fix this problem with the backing yet. Tomorrow is another day.

Will call Rowenta's customer service in AM to tell them I'm sending this iron to them and will request an explanation of what happened. Have NEVER had anything like this happen - ever. I even have the iron plugged into a timer so that it can't accidently be left on.......but it actually was on fire as I held it.

Hope this NEVER happens to anyone else.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 AM

I hope that your hand gets better. This could have been a real disaster. What if you had gone to the other room for a minutes. Your entire house could be gone.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Banned

wow...was not expecting to read that....wow....do hope you will heal quickly and will get a nice settlement from Rowenta! Can you post a pix of the iron before you ship it off? I too think a label or an applique on the backing will work fine!