Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected fire - beware! >

Unexpected fire - beware!

Unexpected fire - beware!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 AM

It was bad enough that the iron burst into flames while you held it, but it could of been worse if you were out of the room.....I had a delongi space heater in a basement room that I would turn on when I was going to be in for a while...I turned it on and walked into other room for a minute and came back to a full blown flame......threw a rug over it. Thank god I didn't go up stairs...This has nothing to do with quilting, but just a heads up as to what can happen.
I too had a Rowenta that lasted less than a year.....
Old 05-15-2012, 02:41 AM

Location: living in Hampton Roads area (Chesapeake, VA) originally from S Beloit, IL

In a family of firefighters, we had to walk the house everytime we left. Nothing was left on and my dad does not trust appliances with timers. Yes, he'd clean our lint filters every year and sometimes twice. Our home insurance carrier gives us a discount for having an extinguisher in the house. So, every few years we get a new one. Now, we have one in the garage, upstairs and kitchen. I would have contacted the Fire Department to get their assistance in investigating the "cause" even though you already know the issue. They can begin the process to notify all the pertinent parties, State and Federal Fire Investigators, Consumer Protection, Underwriter Lab (UL) to document and substantiate any claim or future class action. It's not to be dismissed as some of those "accidents" have lead to product recalls and major class action lawsuits.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 AM

oh my goodness are you okay hope you heal quickly
Old 05-15-2012, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I just wanted to say we are glad it wasn't worse for you. After retirement, my DH repaired appliances for a large Catalog Returns company as he can fix just about anything. Although they have an excellent reputation, he said he would never recommend that brand of iron (much more than any other brand). He had to repair them (when it was possible) all the time. I worry about fire because I have a bad habit of leaving my mini iron on sometimes. Hope you find your fabric.
I don't think they had a good reputation. Marketing bought their claim to fame so to speak. They professed to be a quality product and charged top quality prices but in reality they had/have a bad reputation. Many complaints on their irons. I also had one and it was the worst iron I ever had.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 AM

How scary for you!!! I agree that Rowenta owes you an explaination, a new iron AND new fabric!!! I hope your hand heals quickly! Please let us know what happens!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:12 AM

Sorry about the fire. Could you possibley put an applique over the hole in the Backing fabric?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:38 AM

Oh Kay! This is terrible! I hope your hand and quilt heal! I have heard of other irons bursting in flames but now while in use! Hugs my friend!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 AM

I'm sorry that this happened to you too. I can relate to that in a way. I had a hair dryer do the same thing to me while I was using it. I had a burn on my hand and it didn't stop hurting for awhile. Send that iron back to them and also if there is any doctor and medicine bills send them too. They should compensate you for everything "Dr. Meds. Iron, Material" . I hope your hand will heal quickly for you so you can get back to quilting.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:57 AM

For your burned backing....you may want to applique something (bird, flower, leaf etc.) Sure is bad luck. I hope the burn on your skin was not too bad.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 AM

Wow...that is scary! I'm glad you're okay and have figured out how to salvage the backing. I agree with others, take pictures and document, document, document. I wouldn't be too quick to let them off the hook.