Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Admin
[ But that doesn't mean I should disregard what they think.

You are absolutely right, you shouldn't. But as the old saying goes, you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. So, as far as I can tell, it's going to have to come down to just a few choices:

1. You are DA BOSS! And you can decide what YOU want, and then just do it. Remember, you don't have to explain things to your friends, and your enemies won't believe you anyhow. It's your decision, and "Because I said so" is a valid reason.

2. Have some kind of vote, a secret ballot. One vote per person. Since many people don't read the board every day, set the voting period for a week or so (whatever time period you think is best) and have them pm you with a specific subject line and a brief vote. You can figure out the wording to make it either a Yes/No/A/B/C choice. Then the majority of those that vote rule. After all, that's the way national elections are held. Results aren't determined by the majority of citizens, results are determined by the majority that votes.

3. Put a cap on the number of posts allowed in GCC per day.

4. Leave things as they are.

And good luck! I think you do an awesome job that is mostly thankless, so may I take this opportunity to THANK YOU for this awesome board!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Admin
Hmm, so if we quietly delete a post -- that's bad.
If we let it remain with a notice of why it was locked -- that's bad too.

I think people are taking it way too personally.

So your post got locked. Why is it such a big deal? Why would you be embarrassed about it?

No, I don't think it's about posts being deleted so much as it appears to be a totally arbitrary decision about which posts are deleted and which are allowed to stay. It isn't consistent.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I did like GCC the way it was - I still think that if it gets overloaded with one type of topic one day, in two or three days it will go away and something else will take its place.

Or doesn't it really work that way? I don't monitor it with an analysis pad and tally up how many of what is there. If the topic is of no interest, it disappears quickly.

That's how conversations seem to go. Sports to weather to business to relatives to whatever. A conversation usually is better if at least two of the people are discussing the same topic.

I still don't quite understand why it's so awful for there to be several (well, okay, many) of the same sort of topic at one time.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately I guess for us that two famous people happened to die close together, I don't think it is a good example of spawning.

We will have to send out notices to all famous people, please plan your deaths far enough apart so that we can talk about it.

They are not talking about one recent and one long ago, they are both in current events. I get it if it spawned a bunch of elvis lovers into posting.

I think it is a problem if I say my dog got hit by a truck, and the next thing you know, 10 that their dog was hit 20 years ago posted their own thread. Life sometimes happens in groups, that is just the way it happens, two lost pets over in PDA just recently (maybe more, beind on my reading), does one have to suck it up and wait for better timing?

I am still not seeing a bunch of new posts a day, or maybe they are being deleted before I get here? Or people are just not posting. either way, it has gone from one end of the stick to the other.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 AM

Since the GCC is so much trouble............shut it down and let thr personal diaries remain
Old 09-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Is the problem with the two posts that you refer to that they're 'negative' because someone has died?
The problem is not in those two threads themselves. It's that if we get a lot more of similar posts, we would have to delete or lock some of them to stop the flood. And then people would get upset about their topics being deleted.

I did like GCC the way it was - I still think that if it gets overloaded with one type of topic one day, in two or three days it will go away and something else will take its place.
Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work that way. We had some topics that were "there one day, gone the next", but we also had a constant flow of "downers" -- a never-ending stream. Life is life, and many people came here to look for support of others or to vent. But as a result, the GCC turned into a pretty depressing place for those who aren't as familiar with or close to the other members here.

There are topics that come and go. But there are also topics that can be discussed endlessly. And given the human nature, the negative topics seem to have this never-ending property.

As soon as someone is over her personal crisis, there are 3 more people that need the support over their own issues. And as soon as those are resolved, 5 more post about their own hurts.

And it's really hard to moderate that kind of topics. Deleting a post in which someone is asking for help isn't easy. But not doing anything is also not an option.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately I guess for us that two famous people happened to die close together, I don't think it is a good example of spawning.

We will have to send out notices to all famous people, please plan your deaths far enough apart so that we can talk about it.
Sarcasm aside, given a group of people large enough, there will always be some pain and tragedy that can be shared -- on any given day. We don't even need the famous people for that. That's the point I'm tying to make.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Administrator

No, I don't think it's about posts being deleted so much as it appears to be a totally arbitrary decision about which posts are deleted and which are allowed to stay. It isn't consistent.
It just appears that way.

Let's take the current situation for example and bring it to the extreme to illustrate the point.

Say, 5 more people post about recent deaths of (local and globally known) celebrities/writers/scientists they admired. And tomorrow 10 more would post.

Then, we would start deleting some of them to clear up the section.

And people whose posts happened to get deleted would be saying about how unfair it is, and that there are similar posts left untouched but theirs got deleted.

And they would refuse to understand that it's not about their specific post, but about the context of the section in general.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have two questions - why is this a problem? Surely there is 'natural selection' by the number of members continuing to post or not? If a subject is interesting to many and runs for weeks, why is that bad?

Secondly, why do you think this only happens with OR is a problem with certain kinds of post? If there are 20 jokes on page 1 of GCC that's not a problem, is it? Or 20 threads of ppl's holiday pics?

I know it's an issue if GCC is all about personal pleas for prayers/support but were talking here about discussing celebrities - and in the case of the Swayze one, in a positive way - most of that thread is discussing funny scenes from his films and what a great guy he is. Sorry, maybe we shouldn't discuss specifics here - I don't want to embarrass anyone - but I respond because Admin brought it up. :D
Old 09-15-2009, 08:11 AM

Im sorry I have been very busy the past 4 days.....been working 16-17 hours a day due to lock down...
I am HAPPY GCC is about "things that appeal to EVERYONE" I never would have found out Patrict Swayze died...ok maybe if I spend the day surfing BUT I am too sore to do that.

This is going from bad to worse......you have PDAs for personal stuf ..ok that works kinda, sorta, its better now that you can edit the topic line to get people to the right page. Now we are having too much sad news on GCC..come on, I scan this section once a day and click on the topics I want to read. If you read the first post and its sad then MOVE ON to the next topic you dont have to read the whole thread. I dont see a problem in GCC.

Your going to have people upset over anything that you do...so do what you think is best and implement it and tell us to get our big girl panties on and get over it......