Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help with hand wheel, please! >

Need help with hand wheel, please!

Need help with hand wheel, please!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Default Need help with hand wheel, please!

I have a Singer 127 that I have been cleaning on for several weeks. I can't get the hand wheel off. I have taken the screw out of the stop knob, then the knob and ring behind that off. I have WD40 sprayed all around it, tapped it a few times with a hammer to see if that would loosen it up, and applied sewing machine oil. Is there another trick to get it off or am I just not holding my mouth right? Anyone with advice? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

I believe Muv had a tutorial on Youtube on cleaning a hand crank. She tried to remove hers too and it didn't come off so she clean around it. I believe all her tutorials are under Muvandfavre but I am not sure. She is a member of Qb so look under her posts for the correct net address.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 PM

I am having the same problem with a model 28. It is almost as if there is a screw, in a hidden place, holding it on.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I believe Muv had a tutorial on Youtube on cleaning a hand crank. She tried to remove hers too and it didn't come off so she clean around it. I believe all her tutorials are under Muvandfavre but I am not sure. She is a member of Qb so look under her posts for the correct net address.
I will have to watch it while drinking my tea in the morning. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 PM

Cabbagepatchkid,
That's what I am wondering too, if there is another screw to take off or if it is just gunk keeping the wheel from coming off. Tomorrow, I think I'll take it outside in bright light to see if I can find anything holding it on that I can't see inside the house.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 PM

If you are talking JUST a handwheel and not a hand crank, then the answer is no. Nothing else holds them on. They must be free to spin otherwise you will not be able to wind bobbins without "sewing" or at least having the needle and feed dogs moving. Try some penetrating oil (or kerosene, or hydraulic oil) leave it over night, if that is not enough try some heat (powerful hairdryer or a real heat gun. Also try to get it spinning first. Hold the needle bar and try to turn the wheel.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 AM

Soak with Liquid Wrench, you may have to do it over and over, after it is loose remember to clean and then OIL, OIL.
Mine took several days to work loose.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Old oil acts like a glue and fill in any imperfections between the hand wheel and shaft. Then solidifies. Lots of penetrating oil and heat.

Or, use Hoppe's #9 Gun cleaning solvent. Works really good and will not hurt the finish if you don't let it sit and soak. I've had to do that to a couple of them.

Caution, letting the Hoppe's soak on the painted surfaces can sometimes result in a part with bare metal.

Joe
Old 05-24-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks to everyone for their information. Finally, the little sucker just popped off. I tried all of the above, put a thick towel over the wheel and pulled, it just came off. Grinning from ear to ear. Can't wait to finish cleaning and get it back together. Couldn't have done it without all the pearls of wisdom flowing from this thread. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Congrats! Glad you got it off and hope to hear how well it works for you.