Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Colby Corn Chowder >

Colby Corn Chowder

Colby Corn Chowder

Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM

Colby Corn Chowder (from Taste of Home)

This goes together fast and is great on a cold day.

• 6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 1 t. salt
• 1 large onion, chopped
• ¼ c. butter, cubed (1/2 stick)
• 2 cans (14-15 oz. each) cream-style corn
• 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (NOTE: I have substituted ½-1 cup of leftover ham, cut into cubes)
• 3 C. milk
• 8 oz. Colby cheese, cubed

Place potatoes in Dutch oven or large soup kettle, sprinkle with salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté onions in the butter until tender. Stir in corn and bacon or ham, heat through. Drain potatoes, return to soup pot. Add milk, heat through (do not boil). Stir in hot corn mixture and the cheese. Serve immediately as soon as the cheese melts. Makes about 3 quarts.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:25 AM

How well does this freeze?
It sounds awesome. I love soups in the winter and its turning into winter here.....ok to ME its winter I am COLD LOL
Old 09-17-2009, 04:39 PM

This one does not freeze quite as well as a vegetable or broth-based soup. I have frozen it, but it may separate a bit. You have to be careful when you heat it up -- you shouldn't bring it to the boil and you'll want to stir it often to make sure it does not scorch. Just heat it through thoroughly.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 PM

Sounds wonderful!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Sounds delicious!!! :D :D :D

Could you cook it, pour it into freezer containers before adding the cheese? Defrost and heat the soup slowly and add the cheese then? Just a thought, I have never froze milk based soups but would love to know if this would work :wink:
Old 09-18-2009, 06:23 PM

I have no idea if that would work. I usually freeze leftovers of a large batch and that would already have the cheese melted in it. This soup can be frozen and reheated, and I've done it, but it's not quite as good as when it is made fresh. I've also just kept some in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and reheated. You'll just have to try it out and see if it works for you. Just be careful not to scorch it -- easy to do!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 AM

I like whole corn instead of cream because i don't like the sugar taste of the cream... will it work this way :D
Old 10-13-2009, 06:08 PM

I think regular corn would work fine, but the cream corn helps to make the chowder a bit thicker. You might want to cut back a bit on the liquid depending on how you like it. Or maybe you could cook one extra potato, mash it and stir it in for thickening. I think soups are made for experimenting and substituting. Try it and let us know how it turns out!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 PM

I made this last night for dinner, and it's all gone now! I would make the following changes: add a little pepper, use about half heavy cream and half milk, and maybe add an extra can of the corn. Otherwise, it was really delicious.

Husband said he could see that with him, prosciutto or clams as an added ingredient. He's the cook in the family, so I expect he's probably right.

Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 PM

I tried this recipe a couple of weeks ago and you definitely want to use creamed corn. I agree with adding pepper or maybe some seasoned salt. Adding clams sounds like a good idea for the next batch. :-)