Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one? >

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 AM

Two years ago, as a novice, I took quilting lessons and I saw a lot of Janome 3160 machines. I asked about it and was sold on its ability to cut threads, needle down position and the many stitches it offered. Since it is a quilters machine it comes with the clear table that I love for piecing and FMQ and only weighs 12 lbs! It is a real work horse.
Since my husband will be retiring soon I wanted to buy a top notch machine that had everything....so my hubby bought me the Janome 12000. I am still learning and have not used the embroidery yet. I am signed up for classes so I hope to learn everything that is on my machine. So far I have loved Janome and I have bought from my LQS.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:49 AM

I love my new Bernina 530, especially the BSR (stitch regulator) for FMQ, but it is not all steel.....no newer machines are all steel. It probably has more steel in it than most others, though.

I also love my Janome 6600, with it's built in walking foot and it's extra large bed. Janome gives way more features for the $$$ over Bernina, and they are quality machines.

I also love my older late 60s and early 70s (really all steel) Kenmore machines for really heavy sewing.

If $$$ is an issue I'd go for a Janome, if you're at the stage in life where you have some flexibility, go for a Bernina.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 AM

I haven't seen this one mentioned, but I'm not sure it's even made anymore. 10 years ago I bought Husqvarna Quilt Designer to replace my Kenmore. At the time, I was doing heirloom sewing and the Kenmore wasn't up to the task. Kind of wish I had the Kenmore back. But anyway, QD is wonderful, but heavy. I piece and utility quilt on it (my free motion stinks - probably because I don't practice) My second machine is a Singer Genie 354. Bought it at a garage sale for $10 and then put another $100 into cleaning and repairing it. It's heavy, but yet portable. The only issue I have with it is the foot pedal gets hot and a new pedal won't fit into the case.

I'm looking for second machine now for basic piecing. I love what I saw with the Janome 3160 QDC. If I were buying a new primary machine, this is one I would really consider. But at $800 it's way more than I want to spend on a second machine primarily used for retreats and classes. So, I'm seriously looking at the Janome Magnolia 7330. It's still a bit heavy, but it's more compact than my QD. It seems to be solid machine. It only has 30 stitches, but let's face it, as Quilters do we really need more than a few? I've narrowed down to this machine after going to all the local dealers and telling them what I was looking for. Then I sat down and sewed on the machines - well, except for the Berninas. They are priced way out of my league.

I briefly considered looking for a featherweight. I don't see many in classes. The one class I did there were two of them -- and they ladies couldn't sew the class project! We needed a zigzag for the project. I didn't even think about it when we put together the class information.

Oh -- as for the actually quilting, if I can't do it with a walking foot on my QD, I rent time on a long arm.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:29 AM

I have Babylock's 4 of them. I also have a featherweight. I love my babylocks.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Elainequilts View Post
I love my Janome 6500 that I purchased from a friend who was getting the Horizon.
I have one too and love it for normal sewing, piecing and quilting. I take my FW to camp, meetings and when I travel
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Somewhere, maybe on this board I read & looked for more information re: some of these big name, high end machines are not even being manufactured by the company that its named for & that the quality of the newer machines are not the same quality as the older models---& I'm not talking about Singers. Maybe it would be a good idea to find out just who is doing the manufacturing on some of these newer machines as compared to the older well loved ones.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
Ladies,
I realize this is a loaded ? and has probably as many different answers as there are ladies on this board. However, I'd still like to know:
What kind of sewing/quilting machine you have. (table top not a LA)
What made you purchase THIS one?
Are you happy with it?
If you needed to buy another machine now what would you get & why?

Thanks for your help. I am in search of a good quality- not outrageously priced machine.
I bought a White Rotary machine at an estate sale last year for $25. That very night my machine with plastic gears died. So glad I bought the White. I love the way it sews and I love the knee press. It can sew through many layers of fabric and even leather. I bought another White Rotary off EBay this week for $30. I am going to use it to machine quilt on.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 AM

I have a gaggle of vintage Singers, each loved and coveted for certain features. I also have a friend who is an avid collector and restorer of machines; she lets me borrow whatever machines I want to play with. She loaned me a Pfaff 1222E for long term but has since given me the machine to keep. I recently found a Pfaff Tipmatic on LSN. It was love at first stitch on both Pfaffs because of the IDT. I like mechanical machines with as few electronics as possible. The 1222E does enough fancy stitches for anything I would want. If either of the Pfaffs go to the quilt shop in the sky I will buy another machine with IDT.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 AM

I too recently bought a Janome Horizon 7700 - I love it and with Leah Day Quilt Along I am begining to quilt with it. I have been long arm quilting for a few years now but wanted someething I could have at home and sit down with and you can't beaat this machine. The Brother machine is a good first machine to learn to sew and quilt on though the harp is very small. You can get one at Wal-Mart for less than $200.00
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM

You are right. SVP makes Singer, Viking and Pfaff. Singer has been junk for many years now. I have heard many complaints about the others, too, and I'm sure the quality is not what they used to be....same as just about everything everything else we buy. Janome makes their own as does Bernina, and Brother company makes Brother (of various qualities) and Babylock, to different specifications. I have had good luck with the latter three, some folks may disagree. Buying from a reliable dealer is most important.

Originally Posted by margee View Post
Somewhere, maybe on this board I read & looked for more information re: some of these big name, high end machines are not even being manufactured by the company that its named for & that the quality of the newer machines are not the same quality as the older models---& I'm not talking about Singers. Maybe it would be a good idea to find out just who is doing the manufacturing on some of these newer machines as compared to the older well loved ones.