Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color combo's you are tired of seeing? >

Color combo's you are tired of seeing?

Color combo's you are tired of seeing?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:08 AM

I would never make a quilt for me with orange in it. My mom loved orange and she used it a lot. However, saying that, I have seen many quilts with orange in them that I love. So it depends on how it is used & the fabric it is coordinated.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I think the 'country blue and country mauve' - and I have LOTS of those fabrics!
I agree - country blue and country mauve are passe'
Old 05-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I like just about every color, not always like some together. I use what I have and I like allof them, afterall I picked them out.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:39 PM

You know, I really like the one color with white or cream, and tone on tone fabrics. I know that is kind of old-fashioned but I like it.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I like just about every color, not always like some together. I use what I have and I like allof them, afterall I picked them out.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:08 PM

I started out loving the civil war fabrics and darker, duller colors but am in the process of finishing up 2 civil war memorial quilts (BOMs) (one I am handquilting and the other machine quilting) and if I don't see civil war fabrics for awhile that will be just fine with me. For my next few quilts I want something brighter! That being said I don't care for oranges or much yellow in a quilt but don't mind the other colors (even lime green in a small amount) can look good if used correctly.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
I don't like what I think of as dull colors like browns, tans, darker reds, which for me means most of the civil war fabrics. I like color, the brighter the better, scrappies are the best.
It's a good thing that no two people like the same things -- or for that matter, the same color combinations. It would be a very boring world. I love the civil war fabrics and the more traditional fabrics (calico, etc.) I don't care for the bright pinks, limes, turquoises (although turquoise is one of my favorite colors), purples, etc. The calmer fabrics tend to soothe me. Right now I'm doing a graduation quilt with reds, grays, ivory, and blacks. yikes. Sometimes I am jumping out of my own skin. teeheehee Another thing I find soothing is occasionally doing a low contrast. This is an interesting thread.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 PM

Just when I think I am tired of seeing a color combo, someone makes a stunning quilt out of it.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 PM

I am not a fan of Civil War color fabrics. And I made so much stuff in those mauve and country peach and blues...I could still deal with the blue...but not the others.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:15 AM

Red, black and white; chocolate and teal; oranges and yellows. I don't go with set pattern colors. I go with my own ideas and now my quilts are recognized by the style of the colors together and not the pattern colors (get it?) I generally like to do Samplers and each block is a block unto itself and I will have one color that is in each block that is not a major color and I use that little bit of color to bring it out in the sashing and border. That is just my style. I have been quilting for about 13 years now and I see something different every time I look at a quilt that I have made. I try to make my quilts tell a story. Edie

PS - It all boils down to what makes us love quilting, what we make, what colors we use, what pattern we use and how we combine all of it to make a special quilt. Our personality comes out in each and every one of the quilts we do and that is what I love about quilting.