Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one? >

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:32 AM

Bernina 1280 for sewing (fancy stitch, buttonholes, etc), Babylok Serger (old gal) and my Babylok Quilter's Pro. Since I have the Bernina, I just wanted a quilting machine with a large harp (9"), straight FAST stitch, and good FMQ. The Bernina I found doesn't do FMQ well - I struggled with it for years until I got the Quilter's Pro. If I had to do it again, I would buy another Bernina or a Brother for workhorse sewing and a dedicated quilting machine with maybe a leetle bigger harp - 11" would be ideal. Moral of this is that I like machines that are dedicated for use - so a good fashion sewing machin4e should not be used for Quilting and vice versa - just my opinion.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 AM

I have now settled down with my two Berninas - a 1015 and an 801. Mainly bought originally for the perfect satin stitch quality, and then found how reliable they both were. I have them serviced annually by the same chap, and he claims he has many of the computerised models in as the computer goes down and costs about £500 to re-install. Previously, I had a Husquvana Viking and a Singer but both gave up the ghost with the amount of work I was giving them! My two daughters in law now have one each as they onyl make curtains occasionally so that's enough for the poor machines to cope with! So definitely - an old Bernina.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:56 PM

I have a Viking Sapphire 870. Would not buy it again. When it sews well, it sews well. When it doesn't it doesn't - always a little persnickity. Right now it is in the shop - third time in three years. This time simply refused to FMQ. Thread breaking every few stitches. Have had problems with the automatic cutter - so I don't use it except when in the middle of the quilt. Thread kept coming off the take-up lever, had a part put on that which stops it most of the time. Less than average thread on the bobbin so refill a lot. And sometimes makes funny sounds and just doesn't want to sew, or it will sew poorly.
I am using my 40 year old Kenmore which, relatively speaking is a workhorse and a dream. The harp is small so quilting a large quilt is hard. Also, no feet for free motion quilting (or much else, just basic feet) - use a regular foot so visibility is difficult. However, the quality and ease of the FMQ is better than the Viking. Also, in 40 years it has never needed any servicing. I can open the thing up and clean it - with a few drops of oil it is like new.

If I could just get some newer feet for it, I think I would make it my number one machine, even when my Viking is out of the shop.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:38 PM

I'm fairly new to quilting and have limited money to spend. I like quality fabric so that's where most of my money goes. For now I bought a Brother CS6000i. It's nice because it's a combo machine. Great for just plain ole sewing and pretty good for quilting. The tension can be a bit hard to set but I've been able to do it and like the way it sews at least for the price range I have to stay at. One day I hope to buy a Bernina but for now my brother will do just fine.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM

In 1992 I bought a new Bernina 1031, still have it and use it frequently, also have a Bernina 930 that I bought used about 8 years ago. We were making pot holders last week, I swear that machine will sew just about anything I can get under the presser foot. I didn't know anything about Berninas when I bought the 1031, I needed a new machine ASAP and lived in a small town in South Carolina. The local quilt shop was the only machine dealer within 70 miles. Down through the years I've owned 5 Berninas and loved them all.
For machine quilting I use a Viking Sapphire 875; lots to like about this machine.
If I'm piecing a quilt with flannels, I'll use my Pfaff 1222E with the IDT (built in full time walking foot), love it for machine quilting too; I used to quilt with for about 4 years before I went to work for Viking.
I also have several Singer FWs,treadles and two 301s.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:26 PM

I have a Janome Memory Craft 5700, bought it used several years ago...love it.
I have had Elna (loved it, but some one stole it out of a western wear store (left her bernina on the floor?)
I wore out a New Home after 16 years of many hours of sewing...loved it.
I have had Singers, have a Pfaff 1222 (bought it at a sale, and it keeps freezing up on me, don't think
I will put anymore money into it, wish one of these ladies on here from Washington State, lived closer,
she could have it. I would check out the dealers close to you, try the machine with the fabrics that
you will be using, from cottons to denims.....check out the on sale ones (sometimes you can get a really
good one because the ownerwanted to upgrade to the newest one and you get it for lots less...or bargain
with the dealer if you can). You want someone who can work on the machine when needed, also check
how much they charge for cleaning/fixing? It has gone up in the last year!!!
Friends have Bernina's, Pfaff 3.0 and 4.0 and love them; also one got a Babylock after taking Eleanor
Burns class in Nebraska and got a great deal, plus Eleanor signed the top of it. The dealers that supply
machines for her classes, give good deals, just keep bargaining with them....lol
Bought a Brother at Wal-Mart for GD to sew on, but I use it to take to classes, as it is lightweight.
Also check how heavy the machine is before you buy, especially if you are going to carry it to classes
or take on vacation!! These ladies have given you lots to think about.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM

I started sewing with a 1967 Singer 347. She worked wonderfully but was looking to upgrade to more stitches. I had decided on the Janome brand. I had found an embroidery/sewing machine on Craigslist but the lady never responded after I asked to see it run. So I went to the local Janome repair shop earlier this month, they had a used Janome DC2011 with all the feet for $225! I came home, researched it, and went back the next day to get her! She is a beauty and runs so quietly. I am very pleased with my purchase. No, she wasn't brand new but she looks it and runs great.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
Ladies,
I realize this is a loaded ? and has probably as many different answers as there are ladies on this board. However, I'd still like to know:
What kind of sewing/quilting machine you have. (table top not a LA)
What made you purchase THIS one?
Are you happy with it?
If you needed to buy another machine now what would you get & why?

Thanks for your help. I am in search of a good quality- not outrageously priced machine.
I bought the Brother sewing/embroidery machine because I wasn't sure if I really wanted to do embroidery as I already do a lot of hand redwork embroidery. I bought it at Walmart for just under $400. The only drawback is sometimes I wanted to do an embroidery design which is bigger than 4 X 4 inches. I have friends that have Babylocks that do 5 X 7 inches and really like them. I think I have seen them for around $1,000. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maggieloe View Post
I have a Viking Sapphire 870. Would not buy it again. When it sews well, it sews well. When it doesn't it doesn't - always a little persnickity. Right now it is in the shop - third time in three years. This time simply refused to FMQ. Thread breaking every few stitches. Have had problems with the automatic cutter - so I don't use it except when in the middle of the quilt. Thread kept coming off the take-up lever, had a part put on that which stops it most of the time. Less than average thread on the bobbin so refill a lot. And sometimes makes funny sounds and just doesn't want to sew, or it will sew poorly.
I am using my 40 year old Kenmore which, relatively speaking is a workhorse and a dream. The harp is small so quilting a large quilt is hard. Also, no feet for free motion quilting (or much else, just basic feet) - use a regular foot so visibility is difficult. However, the quality and ease of the FMQ is better than the Viking. Also, in 40 years it has never needed any servicing. I can open the thing up and clean it - with a few drops of oil it is like new.

If I could just get some newer feet for it, I think I would make it my number one machine, even when my Viking is out of the shop.
so sorry to hear your problems with your Viking. I have the same one and have none of the problems you have so maybe you got a "lemon". Just food for thought, who is servicing your machine? Some areas I lived in some of the repair people have a reputation for not knowing how to fix your problems.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I'm just cheap. I got a pfaff synchrotronic 1229 at an estate sale for $50 and I hope they bury me with this machine. However, since it's 30 years old, I am not counting on it, so I'm saving up for something larger. I'd like a Sweet 16 but will probably get a Sunshine 16 instead. I have just recently started tracking how many hours I quilt, and I'm going to "start charging myself" $10/hour and that money will be transferred to a savings account just for a machine! I dread the day when my Pfaff needs to be replaced, so I'm hoping it'll be many years from now!

Yeah, that's a GREAT idea, to charge yourself ...........for saving up for a new machine! Might have to try this!,,,,