Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food did you hate as a child? >

What food did you hate as a child?

What food did you hate as a child?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:03 PM

Liver and onions. My mother tells me she made me sit at the table until I ate them. Two or three hours went by. She found the liver and onions behind the stove (I was pretty smart, eh?) and she wiped it off and still made me eat it! If my husband wants liver & onions, he goes to a restaurant. Still hate the smell and taste.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:32 PM

Corn, broccoli, peas,guacamole, meatloaf, liver-only now I love broccoli, and guacamole, tolerate corn and peas if hidden in salad, soup, etc(will not eat by itself), and still hate meatloaf and liver
Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 PM

I hated boiled cabbage-still do. Cabbage fresh or stir-fried is great. My mom used to put peas in spaghetti sauce - gross.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:41 PM

Canned Peas!! Ugggggg! My spoonful was always spread strategically all over my plate....to make it look like I at least ate a bite or two. LOL Can only stomach frozen peas now. Liver never was and still ain't my thing either, Hate beets....but love me some pickeled eggs! I have found that my taste have changed over the years, and alot of what I use to dislike, I enjoy now.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
Liver and onions- and still hate it LOL
I'm so with you on that... the mere thought of it is making nauseous even as I type... LOL! And I also agree on the stewed tomatoes thing. However I LOVED beets & prunes & brussel sprouts & still do. I know I'm weird.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM

I still remember being made to sit at the table because I wouldn't eat stewed tomatoes...(had to sit there until bedtime-unless I would eat them-which I wouldn't)...still don't like them to this day....nor brussel sprouts. I never could do that to my kids. One of them is a really good eater now...also likes to cook. Other one is a pickier eater...but is getting better at trying different foods. Just the other day he told me he now likes cucumbers, which even a few months ago he wouldn't eat.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 PM

The worst for me was greasy spare ribs and sauerkraut. Yuck! Also, kidney stew. I have never eaten either of these since leaving home and never will! Wouldn't you know that I would marry a fellow with a German background and he loves sauerkraut! He enjoys it away from home. I just can't stand the smell or taste. As a child, I had to eat both of these before I could leave the table. I like most everything else.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Spam... the very sight of it makes me queasy, and that hasn't changed over the years. Why would anyone eat Spam, when there are so many REAL foods in the world? Yuk.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Asparagus soup (threw that up all over the house after my mom forced me to eat it). Still can't stand even the smell of it.
My mom's lentils (called them mop-water soup). I recently started to make friends with lentils.
Cooked fish from a can - I don't know if they even make that still.
Oatmeal (YUK!)
Old 06-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

With liver being almost universally disliked by children - I'm wondering if it really should NOT be eaten by children.

Sometimes I think we squelch our instincts.