Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use pincushions? >

Do you use pincushions?

Do you use pincushions?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
Do you use pincushions when you are quilting/sewing?

Do you like and/or make them?

Since joining in the secret pal swaps I have received a
several homemade pincushions and have developed a
HUGE liking for them; not to use when I am sewing but
as a sewing room decoration. I hang them up so I can
look at them when I take breaks from cutting, ironing or
sewing.

When I am sewing I tend to either drop my pins back in
the jar where I keep them, or I use a magnetic holder to
lay them on until I am done sewing then I put them all back
into the jar (I use wide mouth short 1/2 pint jars).

I have 4 cats and the 2 youngest (my avatar pic) loves to
go "exploring" in my sewing room (which is the dining room)
so to keep them safe I don't leave any pins, needles or small
sharp objects around that they can get too.
Since I've discovered the magnetic tool bowls from Harbor Freight, I'll never go back to a pin cushion. I've got one each of two sizes. Sometimes the pins want to lay the wrong way for me to grab easily, but the thing I like best is that I can slide the pins out of the fabric I'm sewing on to behind my machine, then almost magically pick them all up with the magnetic bowls. I also have one of the extending magnetic picker-upper wand. LIFE IS GOOD!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
I love pin cushions, but use the magnetic one when I sew. I tend to toss the pins toward the pin cushion while sewing, so the magnetic one was a great invention for me.

Isn't that great? If I throw within an inch or so of the magnetic bowls, the pin is caught. (I'm on the lazy side!)
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
I use a magnetic tray. The polarity of the tray keeps the pins lined up. I usually arrange them all going one direction to make them easy to pick up.
I have a pin cushion and a small piece of foam-I don't use either. I use the plastic trays the pins come in and a magnet heart on my cutting table. When I remove pins from the sewing area I have a tin with a piece of soap in it and stick the pin upright in that. Keeps them sharp and I know exactly were they are if I need on in an emergency while sewing.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 AM

I have several pincushions, some very old, but I love my magnetic thingies. When in a hurry I can just toss a pin towards them and they catch it. I keep one where I'm cutting and one where I'm sewing and switch them when one is empty with the one that's full. The magnetics are definitley my favorites.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 AM

I never used to bother with pincushions I just dropped the pins back into the tray they were in until my friend opened her quilt shop and she has the cutest pincushions ever and since I want her to stay in business I buy something every time I visit and since the pincushions are so cute and affordable I have bought several. Now, I'm addicted and have them everywhere! I do use them but I also love them just because they are cute.
Suzy
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
my 3 children never bothered my pins or my sewing things and i had a sewing business while they were growing up. i always had several sewing machines set up and lots of fabrics, pins, scissors, rotary cutters, the whole gambit sitting out in the open. i custom made children's clothing and made a lot of clothing for my daughter. my children were used to people coming over for fittings and knew not to mess with anything.

but the cats, well that was another story.

My kids didn't bother my sewing stuff but in a small space, things can get knocked off. I also know how curious children are. My boys are now grown men but still ask, "Are these scissors okay for me to use?" I, too, did sewing for others. I am very glad I am past that!

One of the reasons I am not sure I am really a quilter is because I don't like cats. So, a cat in my sewing stuff would be a VERY bad thing 'cause they are not to be near the house. I prefer them in the barn.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:04 AM

I collect pin cushions and display them on a shelf in my sewing room. When I'm actually working I prefer to use the magnetic dish. (With those I can pick up a pile quickly and just getting the pin close - gets it into the dish)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:22 AM

My pin cushions are at least 20 years old. I have 2 of Avons' veggie shapes-green pepper and carrot - that I've been using for almost 40 years . They are scattered all ove my sewing room but like everything else sometimes I can't find even one! LOL
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM

This is an interesting thread ... never thought too much about pin cushions, but after spending time picking up pins off the floor (carpet) beneath my sewing machine, I need a different method of collecting pins. I'm looking for a pattern to make one that has a weight on the bottom to hold it stationary, something easy to collect the pins, and something that will keep the pins sharpened ... and something pretty. Got any ideas?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 AM

I have pin cushions all over my sewing room. Can't be without them. I have one just for applique pins and one for the longer pins. The size of the head and color tell me what I am looking for.