Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help picking a machine >

Help picking a machine

Help picking a machine

Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 AM

I have an old singer that takes a "different" needle. It is a shorter needle than the "regular " needles carried just about anywhere. I can find them on line. My machine takes a singer 206 needle. Schmetz does make that needle but you need to know how to convert to the Schmetz sizing ( they make hundreds of different needles).
There was a time I too thought I was out of luck if my last needle broke or got dull. It will take a bit of work but you can get needles.
First make sure your machine really requires a specific special needle. When was the machine built? If you have any issues a good Sew and Vac or reputable repair person can help you find /source your needles ( if it is required).
Just a note : universal needles do not refer to the machines it will fit, it is refering to the fabrics it can be used on. A universal needle is for sewing on knits as well as cottons. The point is not the same as a needle intended for quilting. For general sewing they are just OK... buying the proper needles for specific fabrics can make a noticable difference in some stitches.
You may want to give this source a call
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sea...d=Kenmore+1782
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sea...x?find=Kenmore

Last edited by Lori S; 06-04-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 AM

I learned to sew on my mother's Kenmore, all my everyday sewing machines have always been Kenmores since I left home and I have always just used the regular replacement needles in whatever size/type needed (denim, ball, leather, etc.). I have used them for everything from fine tailoring of clothing to home dec long before I ever did any quilting. Kenmores were always meant to be easy to use for everyone, and every one I've ever had has sewn like a dream, only replaced when the newer model had too many bells and whistles for me to ignore. In more than 40 years I've only owned three of them, plus I still have my grandma's machine from the 40s or 50s, and love them all. I would take your little beauty in for a good cleaning/tune up (check your lqs, most of my lqs have a sewing machine service) and then get sewing - she'll give you years of faithful, loving service and still be humming along like the champ she is. If you are just starting out on this wonderful quilting journey, you should start with a machine like this one, maybe someday down the road you will heed the siren call of a machine with more bells and doodads, but start with this little darling, she will help you enjoy the trip for a very long time.

PS - don't forget to download the manual, it will give you the info you need to start using this little treasure.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 AM

I have 2 Kenmore machines. Buy needles at Sears, use Organ brand, Schnetz brand when on sale at Hancock and never had any problems with them. If you are not sure, take your machine into a sewing service center and they should be able to help you decide what type to use as well as doing a check-up for your new to you machine. Pretty soon she will be a trusted member of your quilting family.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Kenmores are great machines! I have a model 158.13571 that I bought new in the late 70s. I've sewing everything from shirts to jeans, drapes to couch cover, and it sews just about anything I can get under the presser foot. Once you become accustomed to it, you will love this machine.

As to your question, my guess is that a Schmetz sharp needle should work.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM

SCHMETZ Household Needles should work in your Kenmore 1782 sewing machine.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 PM

The standard sewing machine needles work in virtually all home sewing machines since about 1970 or so. 15x1 is the exact designation, but Universal is sometimes used. That size should fit your machine too.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 AM

I have a Kenmore that is 35 yrs old. love it and I get my replacement needles at joann's and the work well. You can also go to Sear's web site and order them, some stores still have a very small sewing machine dept with some supplies
Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 AM

I think you should buy a new machine x