Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt guild question. >

quilt guild question.

quilt guild question.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:27 AM

I agree that you should just show up. Be prepared with your questions. It is good to scope out the situation. and it may take a few meetings to see if it is a good fit. I love this board, but the guild experience has been the best thing for my skill and interest development. Seeing well done quilts in person and asking questions of the quilters is so valuable. I am so happy that the guilds I have belonged to have been accepting of me and my quilting level.

Dayle
Old 06-08-2012, 05:34 AM

If you know a member, ask what are the guild's requirements for membership. Most of the ones I know are open to anyone, and do have a member at the door to either sign you up as a member, or give you a one meeting pass. A few of the smaller guilds can have strange requirements, but that is rare. You learn a lot in a guild, and it is a great place to make great 'quilt' friends.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:51 AM

How did you find out about it? If someone told you, call that person and ask how to join. If you saw a poster or an ad, just show up.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Just show up and asked if they have room for one more. You will be welcomed with open arms, bet ya.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 AM

I just went to my first guild meeting last night. I just showed up and they greeted me warmly. Got someone to show me around and sat with me to answer any questions that I had. This particular meeting was a pot luck so I got dinner too. LOL. This guild's membership goes from June to June so it was the last meeting for the year. So there was no speaker but lots of celebrations with presenting the President with a quilt made by all members, etc. I think that if you found a guild that did not want to have visitors show up may be because they can only accomodate so many members in their meeting place and they are already full. Nice for them I guess. The one I went to consider themselves small and their was probably 35 people there. This guild is only $25 dollars a year too and I knew that they charge $3 for visitors but because it was the last meeting, I got to attend for free.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 AM

Our guild gets them both ways. We take everyone and welcome new people with open arms. If they have info out there on how to contact them, then I might drop an email, but if not, just go!! Ours is wonderful! Its been a fabulous experience for me!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 AM

Show up, if the guild is an open one. That is what I did. I have always felt welcome. Go for it Girl, enjoy the guild.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 AM
gin

I don't know about other guilds -- but the 2 that I belong to think that it is great when someone new "just shows up" and what a great way to meet new people with the same interest that you have
Old 06-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Contact information for a guild in Blue Springs, MO is on this page: http://www.quiltguilds.com/missouri.htm

The site is pretty comprehensive and has information on guilds worldwide.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:54 PM
QM
Power Poster

It varies. I heard of an Arizona guild that is invitation only and refuses snow birds. My guild welcomes everyone, quilter or not. Some visitors have come hoping for an opportunity quilt for a cause (They usually get it.) Some come in hopes of learning to sew. Everyone is welcome. Our $5 annual dues includes the use of our LA. and unlimited instruction. If there is someone to call, however, I would.