Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your paper mountian >

Your paper mountian

Your paper mountian

Old 06-10-2012, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Can Bellaboo just lend some of her organizational genes to me. No, make that give them to me.
My lovely hubby bought me a great sign: "Organized People are Just Too Lazy to Look for Things."
Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 AM

I can sure relate to your situation. I have lots of paper mountains, most needing to be gone through. A few years ago my computer's mouse died & they don't make that kind anymore. So here is the old computer taking up space & on it are a lot of photos & other stuff that are like lost to me. I now have a external hard drive for the current computer & flash drive, my problem in that is I haven't figured out to put stuff on them & to move what is on the hard drive itself.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 AM

I put all my pdfs on a cd as soon as I download them to my doc file from the internet. I print out the ones I think I will make in the future and put them in plastic sleeves in a 3-ring binder. I have a shoe box full of cds!! And a cupboard full of 3-ring binders! And still more pdfs in my doc file to put on cd! It's a vicious circle, but I love it!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:32 AM

There is a gadget you can get to retrieve information from a crashed hard drive. We did this and were able to get a
all our info back. Check at Best Buy and they should be able to help you. But rather than make a hard copy of everything, which is just another storage nightmare, have a back up system in place, like an online backup system of a remote hard drive.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Every time I save a pattern to my computer, I also save it to my external hard drive. That way if one dies I still have it on the other. I'm seriously thinking about putting it all onto another drive too, or online storage.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:19 PM

if you are going to save things on your computer, then you should think about getting cabonite back up. i have had my computer go down on me, i also hold a lot of pictures, so if the computer goes down you still have it, and its not expensive
Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 PM

Have any of you considered that desk top scanner that is smart enough to create and file itself on your computer? Has anyone tried it? I've seen them advertised and was wondering if it would be worth the price to clear the pattern mountain, not to mention sort work on personals other then quilting... thoughts? Mona~
Old 06-11-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by MzMcKee View Post
Have any of you considered that desk top scanner that is smart enough to create and file itself on your computer? Has anyone tried it? I've seen them advertised and was wondering if it would be worth the price to clear the pattern mountain, not to mention sort work on personals other then quilting... thoughts? Mona~
I've considered one of those, too, but I think they're kind of spendy.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by bunbytes View Post
I save the freebees from the web on my computer. I have a free pdf converter program that will make web pages into pdfs. It works as another "printer" option. I just preview the the printing, decide which pages I want and the hit the print button (the pdf converter program is listed as a printer option) and it converts the pages into one pdf. I then save it into different folders. I like the idea of off-line storage in case the disk fails or the computer crashes for some other reason.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that there was a PDF converter program available. Free is good! lol
Old 06-11-2012, 02:33 PM

I use a site called Mimedia, free 5 or 7 GB storage online, and automatically backs up your files. Saved my behind when my laptop crashed. I have a lot of photos and I am not even near the limit.

There are others like Amazon Cloud and FlipDrive, both free.