Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions Wanted-swap gifts >

Opinions Wanted-swap gifts

Opinions Wanted-swap gifts

Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 AM

3 things that are cool:
Small magnetic bowls that hold pins, scissors, anything metal - they have those at the job lot stores or automotive stores
Pressing sticks - especially useful for paper piecing but also any time you need to finger press
Box of crayons - very good for embellishment on applique pieces
Old 06-22-2012, 05:10 AM

Anything would be wonderful. I am a new quilter struggling to get a stash built. And, learning about all of the things that I need, want and should have. I am just now getting in to a few swaps and this has helped me so much. My swap people will get a special goodie when I swap. I know I love surprises.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 AM

In addition to all of the great suggestions above, I love receiving something regional. You know, something native to your neck of the woods, that I wouldn't see in mine. For instance, I'm from MA so I will include some maple sugar.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by quilterlois View Post
I received a 12" square of shelf liner. I love it under my foot-feed, no more feeling around with my foot for the foot-feed, it stays put.
I also use it under my machine to keep it from moving around
Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 AM

Of the things I've received that I've enjoyed - note paper, grocery list tablet paper, measuring tapes, mugs, marking pencils.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of mugs, how about a mug rug or candle rug. I enjoy making coasters. Use wool and do little penny rugs. I like doing the hand work/embellishments and they are great take along projects.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:36 AM

I make little zipper bags. They have clear vinyl on the front. Sometimes I put tea bags in them and sometimes I put things like a pkg. of needles, a spool of thread, bandaids, etc. They fit in your purse and can be used for all sorts of things. Little notions totes also work well and can be made with most of the things you have around your sewing room. I also use JoAnn coupons to stock up on supplies that can be added later.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 AM

Well, this ought to be simple, I like to get thimbles, any kind, rubber, ones that are sold at JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, nothing expensive, pin cushions, you can buy or make, I love them, tape measures, quilting pins, markers, rotary blades (can't have too many), tote bags, someone made one for one of these swaps and i love it, can't have too many, i take mine every where, note paper of any kind and shape works for me, oh, how about seam reapers, can't have too many of these either, i recently found those little packages of designer kleenex, that say stuff like "shop till you drop", or they may have ones with purses all over them etc.., gum, i like gum. magazines, they can be old or new. You can make a mug organizer, or a mug with a favorite drink in it, like a package of cocoa, tea or single serving of coffee, small package of cookies. Anyway, the list can go on. Dishcloths that you make are easy and people love to get them. How about those sewing kits that are homemade and sew simple to make. Hope this helps
Old 06-22-2012, 06:48 AM

I made foldable/portable thread catchers for my mini group for Christmas and they loved them.
Currently working on tea wallets. Little wallets to hold tea bags and suger packets to carry in your purse.
Both are avaible free on line.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I really use needle minders and can't have too many. Glue a big button or other flat decorative item to a strong round magnet. Use another round magnet as the backing. It will attach to your shirt or quilt or most anything to always be sure you don't lose your needle or have to stick in the fabric when you need to stop handsewing. They are expensive to buy and so easy to make yourself. I have used seashells, old brooches from thrift stores, the selection is endless, anything with a flat side.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 06-22-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 AM

A thought occurs to me...if people end up putting "gifted" items in the Goodwill bin, and this is a monthly swap, why not steer this thing in a more productive direction. If everyone brought one canned food item and they were donated monthly to a food bank, wouldn't that be a better use of time and money? This is not meant to offend, but just to be more practical and useful.