Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Machine Embroidery
  • Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >
  • Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

• Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever
    I have a question: I'm on a budget and always buy Sulky embroidery thread for my projects and buy them when they're 1/2 off at Joanns (like the next sale July1-7). Are there any other threads that are not too expensive yet can do a beautiful job? Thanks!
    I used metro thread.. www.metroemb.com $.85 for the mini spools and $2.85 for the big spools. I loved it, but my new machine doesn't. Buy a couple of spools and give it a try. Just a thought.
    Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM

ThreadArt sell decent spools. Both large and small.
    Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 PM

I have a question on how all of you "store" the embroidery module for your machines when you are not using them.
    I have the Ellisimo machine and the module is HUGE. I never had a problem with my Bernina module - I would sleep in the little bag it came with. However, the case for this machine wears more than my granddaughters! LOL In addition, it's big and doesn't fit in my sewing room.

I'm trying to come up with a basket or something for the times it is not on my machine. I've thought of putting it on end and putting it under my sewing table but not sure that is perfect (or the correct way to store it either).

Would love to see/hear how you've solved this problem.
    Karen
    Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 PM

I always use an embroidery needle for machine embroidery. The needle itself is made slightly different to accomodate the friction the thread will incur during the fast speeds of the machine as it's embroidering. Also, I do believe the point of the needle is a bit different than a regular needle is. I don't believe that it would harm the machine to use a regular needle, but you will definitely get a better stitch out if you use an embroidery needle. Just my 2 cents worth.

Originally Posted by Momo
    I'm just now finding this thread. Lots to read; so I will just ask and if this is discussed before, maybe someone will redirect me. I'm kinda new to machine embroidery having bought a Viking topaz last year. There's a lot to learn. But I was wondering if anyone uses regular sewing needles to embroider with or must it be embroidery needles? I'm also not sure about which stablizers to use on different fabrics.
    Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
    Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 PM

Hi Karen, I too have an Ellisimo and agree that suitcase for the unit is enormous!! I actually store mine under our guest bed!! It's not really too difficult to get out from underneath it, and it doesn't take up valuable floor or closet space in my sewing room! HTH

Originally Posted by Karenowc
    I have a question on how all of you "store" the embroidery module for your machines when you are not using them.
    I have the Ellisimo machine and the module is HUGE. I never had a problem with my Bernina module - I would sleep in the little bag it came with. However, the case for this machine wears more than my granddaughters! LOL In addition, it's big and doesn't fit in my sewing room.

I'm trying to come up with a basket or something for the times it is not on my machine. I've thought of putting it on end and putting it under my sewing table but not sure that is perfect (or the correct way to store it either).

Karen
    Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 AM

Thank you for the input on the threads and sites. I will surely look into this!
    Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 AM

My Brother has a carrying case that my embroidery unit fits into. It is as large as my sewing machine. Probably there is a case available for your unit that you can buy. The cases protects and keeps the unit dust free. I think that dust is probably a very big problem for these embroidery units and the computers inside them.
    Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    You can find lots of excellent set of thread on eBay. Not brand names, but quite good.
    I buy mine on EBay also. I had to try a couple of sources but finally found an ART SILK thread (rayon) sold from Great Britain manufactured in Pakistan that I love and is delivered to me such a reasonable price that I can order every color they have. I just wish they had more colors. My Brother loves the thread.
    Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=Karenowc;5307346]I have a question on how all of you "store" the embroidery module for your machines when you are not using them.

I splurged and bought the case for my Topaz 30. It is rather large, but I feel good about it being protected from dust and damage. The units are so expensive, I figured the cost of the case was worth protecting the embroidery unit.
    Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM

Karen
    TIC(tongue in cheek LOL) Why store it at all? I see from your ''signature'' under your post, that you have other machines to sew on. Seriously, it was a hassle for me, because I love the sewing features on my Brother ULT so much, that when opportunity came to buy 2nd hand one, I DID! I leave emb. unit attached to one all the time, and sew on the other--even tho I have 11 more machines to use. If I ever get into a real embroidery mood, I can 'fire' them both up. Meanwhile one unit is stored in it's humongous case w/hoops and behind a spare bdrm door. It all comes down to priorities!