Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron question >

Iron question

Iron question

Old 06-23-2012, 05:33 PM

I love the Rowena's, I have bought many but mine don't leak, apparently I must keep up to hgh and they burn everything from my husbands golf shirts to my children's school uniforms. I bought a cheaply from Walmart haven't brnt a thing on a while.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:52 PM

I've had a Rowenta for 3 years with no problems but I've also had a heavy duty Sunbeam I use weekly and it has been a dream, too.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:11 PM

I belong to a fairly large guild, and it seems everyone I know, including me, who has purchased a Rowenta in the past few years has had it leak badly, usually about six months after the purchase. I thought it may be because some were made in China, but mine was made in Germany and it also leaked. Obviously they are using bad gaskets or something in both places of manufacturer. I love my cheap, $20 Sunbeam that I bought at Costco years ago. It keeps working and working!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:46 PM

I'm on my second Rowenta. The first will not hold water, other than that issue, it works great for dry ironing. I bought a second one in hopes that it was a fluke. I was wrong. It hold water sometimes. I just have to remember to empty it when not using it. With that being said, they both work well as for heating up fast even with the auto shut off feature.

My mom has a black and decker for ten years or so with no problems.

When mine dies, or I just get tired of dealing with the water problem, I'll look for another manufacture that makes a quality iron that does not spit/leaks water, the ability to controll the amount of steam at any tempature with an on off ability, stainless steel plate (haven't tried the teflone plates).
Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 AM

Location: Spring, Texas now but originally from Bayou Blue (Houma) Louisiana

Thanks all. It looks like the Rowenta's if bought many years ago are better. Of course that is how many things are. They just don't make things like they used to. So, I am still not sure what I will buy. The reason I was looking at the Rowenta's is because of the tip. I like the way it is shaped . It would make it easier for me to iron the baby clothes I make for my grandbabies. And I liked the way the steam goes close to the tip also. So I guess I will just go to the store and look at the tips and decide. I did see one called a Delonghi also. No one commented on that kind. The reviews are few but seem to be pretty good. Also some who reviewed said they like them better than the Rowenta's. Again. Thanks. I am so glad I found this site. I love it. I am just getting back to sewing. And teaching myself quilting and the advice here is wonderful.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 AM

I like Roweta but mine fell off the iron board and quit working. I had a cordless Oreck i liked but it didn't last but 7 yrs. I went to Walmart and bught a Balck& C
Decker for under $25 and it works ok
But I did see a Rowenta on QVC for about $50. that has a narrow pointed tip to get into seams better than others and I thought that would work well for quilting. Go to their website. You can also click on a reminder request when they will present it again as they may drop the price duting the show.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:51 PM

I bought an Oliso ITouch at Joann about a year ago. I really like it. When you are through ironing you just sit it down flat and legs come out raising the plate off of the fabric once you release the handle. Once you touch the handle they go back in and you are ready to iron again. It doesn't turn off until you turn it off or sit it up on end. The only problem I've had is the legs don't always retract. I just sit it down and pick it up again and it is ok. I think it might have something to do with just where your hand is on the handle. And it has been knocked to the floor a few times.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM

Location: Spring, Texas now but originally from Bayou Blue (Houma) Louisiana

Well I actually went to Kohls and held a Rowenta in my hand. And was able to see the wonderful tip. I really like it. But the cost was $119 on sale for $107. Well I decided to look at WalMart. Well I found a Black & Decker Professional Steam Iron which has a good tip also. $25. Got it home and took it out the box. Saw there is no off on it. So I guess to turn it off you have to unplug it. Put it back in the box and will return it tomorrow. I can get the Rowenta Focus at Kohls with 30% off so I may go get it. I just don't want to pay that much and have it leak. I would be really upset. I just really want one that does not spit on my fabric and has a nice narrow tip. Looking for an iron should not be so hard. LOL
Old 06-24-2012, 06:50 PM

I tried a T-Fal iron for my quilting room and loved it, so I bought another for my laundry room. They have large water reserve for steam ironing, automatic shut off, but heats up again very quickly, and great steam. They run about $45-$50. The reviews I read about Rowenta and Oliso were so bad that I wouldn't spend that kind of money.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Off and one I hear complaints about Rownta, but I have had mine for over 10 years. It does have an auto shut off that is quicker than my old iron, but it heats up so fast that it isn't much of a problem for me.