Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!! >

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 AM

I think BellaBoo's advise is good. Shop with your Grandmother and listen to her advise. I have a Janome that is about 10 years old and have not had any issues with it and it isn't fussy about thread and anything else. It is a workhorse and doesn't make me baby it. I love her and would get another if necessary. Also, be careful if you buy a second hand machine since the warranty usually isn't any good with a new owner. Good luck with your hunt.
Sue
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM

I have 2 Janomes and love them. Something to remember, the Brother is made by Janome and you can frequently find a Brother that is basically the same as a Janome but it costs less.

My first machine was a used Singer that my folks got me for high school graduation in the '60's. A great machine -- it was a workhorse. Don't discount a good used machine. If you get a new machine, ask for lessons -- they help you get comfortable with your machine.

Bottom line, however, you need a good dealer/repair person-- they are worth their weight in gold.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Brother is made by Brother.
Babylock is made by Brother.
Janome is made by Janome.
Elna is made by Janome.
Kenmore is made by Janome and Brother.
Bernina is made by Bernina
Viking, Singer and Pfaff are made in a nameless Pacific Rim factory.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 PM

The Janome Magnolia is a good machine in the $400.00 range.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Brother is made by Brother.
Babylock is made by Brother.
Janome is made by Janome.
Elna is made by Janome.
Kenmore is made by Janome and Brother.
Bernina is made by Bernina
Viking, Singer and Pfaff are made in a nameless Pacific Rim factory.
very true...but wiht the exception of bernina, all are pacific rim machines.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
very true...but wiht the exception of bernina, all are pacific rim machines.
Yes. At least Janome and Brother started out that way, although most of their production has moved from Japan to Taiwan for TOL and some mid-range machines, and China for their lesser machines
Old 06-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Lucky you, getting a new machine. Go for quality and the features you want. I agree with many others, a good used machine is most economic. Don't be too influenced by a great number of fancy stitches; many people seldom actually use them! I would look for the needle up/needle down feature for sure. Most of all sit and actually sew on them. Have your Grandmother do the same. She may have insights you do not re: the machine so listen carefully to which she would choose. Good luck and happy sewing.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 PM

I grew up on my mom's Bernina model 817! I started sewing my Barbie doll clothes about 7, then I started making my own clothes. I have made my daughters clothes all on the same Bernina. When I started quilting I finally got the bug for a new machine that would do more than just basic stitches. I research several brands and truely thought I wanted a new Bernina. Well $$ was not enough to get a really great quilt machine. I started looking at different brands. I finally bought a Janome 6500 and I love it.

What you really need to do is write a list of things you want and need in a new sewing machine to suit your sewing needs. Then go and actually try out and sew on different machines. A test drive so to speak. You can "feel" a difference in each machine in sound and quality. Being a quilter I knew I wanted more room in the throat area for quilts. The Bernina I thought I wanted and could afford only had six inches! same amount as what I was sewing on. So that was out. I looked at several used machines that people had traded in for a new model. That way you get more machine for less money.

If you are a true seamtress, you may want to spend a bit more to get a better machine. Some on the $200/$300 models may not meet your expectations. Check out local sewing center and quilt shops that sell machines, and go take your test drives! Take you list of must haves, like self threader, arm for sewing sleeves, how well it does buttonholes etc. Good luck, take your time in making this decision!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by happinessbears View Post
Thanks for everyones responses! I'm really leaning towards the janome machines although the berninas are good. I think its more in my price range.. Now, does anyone have any preferences on which janome sewing machine to get? Im not sure, but I'm thinking a computerized one would be really nice
Being a teenager, I think you will enjoy a computerized one more. If you don't buy a computerized one, you will probably end up wanting to upgrade very soon. I think you will be able to find something in your price range that is computerized.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 PM

I had a White Jeans Machine and hated it. Every time I used it it was a struggle. I didn't do much sewing because of it. When the bobbin winder quit working, I went to what was later to become my LQS to see about a repair. The technician said it would cost $85 to check it out, plus any parts, and when I said I hated that machine, he said I probably shouldn't waste the money on a repair and suggested I look at some of their machines. I wound up test driving a Brother and it was on sale, so I got it for less than $400. It sews like a dream, has an easy drop in bobbin, automatic threader (good for my old eyes), and needle up and down. I forget how many stitches it has, but way more than I would ever use. I love this machine and enjoy it every time I sit down to sew. Although I had no plans to spend that kind of money that day, I have never regretted it. So...choose a machine that you will enjoy sewing on. Go for one that is not too complicated to learn, and look at it as a long term investment. Good luck to you.