Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!! >

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by happinessbears View Post
Well, Im a newbie to the quilting board so please be lenient with me! So, I am in the market for a new sewing machine! What I've had before are two horrible singer machines, one which i could return, the other which i could not (stupid thing!). This time, I actually did some research and have found out more about other sewing machine brands. I'm currently looking at Bernina, Janome, and Juki sewing machines (I've decided to relieve myself of singer once and for all). I know they are all very awesome and reliable brands, but price REALLY matters here! I'm getting this as a birthday present from my grandparents (they pay half) and i pay the rest, but I'm turning 14 so I can't really afford anything!! So tell me first, which brand is better? And is the Bernina really worth it? even if I get a bernina, it'll be either one of the bernettes (which aren't even made by them) or a used bernina..... So yea... And also, I sew ALOT and make my own clothes and stuff and I want a very reliable sewing machine, something I could put my life on lol. I personally want a bernina I guess, but my parents will say no (I'm sure of it) even if it will pay off in the long run. My grandma also owns an $800 janome which she swears by... Did I mention that the price range that my grandparents put down originally was $300 - $400? But thankfully my grandmother has been on my side this whole time (my dad and mom not) So please, help me!
Hi Happiness,
Welcome to the QB. You are asking the age old question, we have ALL asked before when any of us are looking for change. So "TEST DRIVE, TEST DRIVE, TEST DRIVE" as many different machines as you can. When you go in to "Test Drive" a machine do not rush and try not to let any one else rush you (I know that can be hard when parents, etc.. have to drive you). Also take a long something (small), you are working on - ie:a quilt block. If you do a block on each machine you test you will be able to see how they work and if you like the feel of the machines (remember ALL machines will feel different even if you tested the same machine in different stores, but you will still be able to see and feel what you like and don't like). Next thing is to remember to ask about servicing charges on EACH machine. Vikings are a good machine (but $$ on servicing can be a bit much - even the older ones non-computerized), this is in part due to the self oiling parts inside. If they are not used a lot (even when it is kept covered), the oil inside get HARD like a rock. The other thing to keep in mind is any time you take a machine in that has ALL of the cool stitches you will pay more for servicing (I'm not sure about your area but in my area with out a coupon the lowest for servicing my Pfaff starts out at $130.00 and goes up depending on what it is in for - broken needle last year was $197.00 due to being computerized). And you also want to know what the turn around time is and who you know that has taken a machine in to be repaired by that person. Some people are better with some machines than others. Went to a Pfaff dealer to repair my machine (was told he was great), it took me weeks of going in about once a week to get him to get it correct. I know SINGER is not the machines they used to be (very sad), but maybe a FW. They sew and sew and sew. The other thought is if you don't have to get it this minute, go to the big sewing show in your are - all the dealers show up with all of the machines (new), but you can pick up a show machine at a used price. I know a friend did this (she could not pick it up until the last day of the show, but she saved big). Good luck!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:38 AM

I have a 4120 QDC and just love it. It is a quilting machine also and a little more than your budget, but I would recommend the Janome brand to anyone.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 AM

One consideration is to make sure you can get a straight stitch needle plate for it. I was given a new Brother machine to take to my charity quilting and am so disappointed that I can't get a straight plate for it. Even if you aren't planning on quilting you still will be doing a lot of straight stitching in your clothing.

Occasionally, I see great machines on Craig's List. I have an older Pfaff I wouldn't trade or give up ever....it's going in my will! I've sewn quite a bit on my nieces Bernina and I like it a lot. Love the feet, they're so sturdy. My next sewing machine will probably be a Bernina but perhaps not a new one as they seem to have a lot of issues.

This is something you may have for a long time so get the best you can afford. Don't be rushed into a decision.

Best of luck to you!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:45 AM

Hi,
My friend just bought a 6160 computerized janome for $569 and loves it. It does everything. I also own the 6260 Janome and the 6600 and love them both. You get a good machine and more for your money with Janome.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:12 AM
C.

Definitely the Janome 3160 QDC. I have the 6600 and this 3160 is a duplicate of the big 6600 with just a few less stitches, but you still get many with it. The 3160 sews great, is perfect for classes also, can quilt on it (just a small harp) and I think it is better than the Jem Gold in which I had and sold to upgrade to the 3160. I currently have four Janomes and love them all. My first one is now ten years old and never a problem with any of them. And the price is not bad at all for getting such a big machine in a smaller size.....you can't beat the computerized machines. The automatic thread cutter is a wonderful feature on the 3160, not all machines come with it. So good luck.......
Old 06-28-2012, 05:13 AM

Lots of great advice here for you. I just might add that sometimes the dealers have special sales going on during the month of July. Here in AZ they have whats called "Christmas in July" and you can get some fantastic deals. Last year at this time I was also looking for a new machine. My current machine could not sew thru 6 lays of flannel, and I was stuck not being able to finish off a rag quilt. So the first thing I did was make a list of the things I wanted my new machine to do. From what was most important to what was nice if I got it, but not necessary. Then I started making the rounds to the dealers. Oh, and find a dealer you like, ones that are friendly and helpful. So originally I was thinking I wanted a Juki, from everything I read. I was only looking a new machines. Then I went to one retailers and I really liked the sales lady, she was so helpful, and as I was standing there waiting for her to set up a certain machine for me to try I spotted on the used shelf a Babylock Quest Plus. I had her pull out that machine, and come to find out, it was a floor model, and it had everything with it. I sat down and it sewed perfectly thru the 6 layers of flannel, and I loved this machine after sewing with it for a bit. So even though I thought I knew exactly what I wanted I ended up with something completely different. And I have had it almost a year now, and I still love it, I am so happy I was open to looking at different models and brands.

So be sure to check out and see if the retail sewing stores in your area might be having special sales next month. You can save alot of money that way. And good luck on your hunt for the perfect machine. We all have different ideas of what is perfect for us.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:31 AM

I just purchased the Janome 60plus. Best beginner machine I have seen. Travels well because it is not a computer. I have 2 computerized brothers that I love but this machine is great for projects that do not require fancy stitches.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:34 AM

I have 3 janomes and would get one. they are the 659, 6260, 5200. My neighbor has a bernina and hates it. She is thinking of the Janome also. good luck in your decision
Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 AM

Dear HB!
As a librarian, I am SOOO impressed at your research and here using the board to help direct you as well! Between your brain and your grandparents' heart, you are blessed indeed.
I would agree with the posts about finding a good (great) dealer BUT fall in love with the machine first, THEN the dealer! Machine preferences are personal and sometimes not fact based. One person has a model they love and have read the manual, taken classes on it, formed a friendship with their dealer, etc and they are CRAZY about that machine. Another person could do the very same things on the same machine and it just doesn't "fit" at all. So in addition to your research, make sure to test drive all the models you can in the simpler range. I warn you not to try those high end machines that most dealers will push you toward. (They make more money on the sale of them.) A really, really good dealer will LISTEN and respond accordingly but you have to be patient and explain as exactly as you can what you want and firmly hold to your price range. You won't be using the "bells and whistles" hardly at all to construct clothing but that's what dealers love to emphasize ($$$$$!) Look for a great straight seam with even tension. You will need a good buttonhole maker and the ability to zig zag nicely. Most of us here learned with just those few features and have done well. Do not be tempted with or diverted by the "embroidery" word! IMHO, I'd be better served with a separate embroidery machine but, though my DH (Dear Husband) has offered, I am totally happy with what my machine can and does do. I am afraid I'd be like a basketball player on a tennis court with the embroidery machine!

Now, I have a Bernina 1260 which is mostly mechanical and an amazing machine. It was purchased in the '90s before so many computerized components took over sewing machines. I love it and my sewing machine repair/maintenance person wants to buy it every time I take it in for cleaning. Never had an issue with it. My niece and sewing buddy has a Janome she bought about 8 years ago and it sews every bit as well as mine. It is a sweet running machine. I don't find it lacks anything we need for clothing construction that my Bernina has.
If I were looking, I'd start with Janome and branch out from there. I hope your parents will be understanding and willing to let you shop around so you can make the best selection especially if your grandparents aren't located close enough to help with that.
Let us know how your search goes. If you have questions, someone here will surely have the answer! Good Luck!

Last edited by mhollifiel; 06-28-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 AM

I LOVE my Berninas and would not buy anything else! However, with your age and price point, I'd suggest a Janome or, even better, a "previously loved" Bernina. Do not buy a Bernette...you will outgrow it immediately and regret it. What is really important is that you have a good technician nearby, so look for a store that will work with you for machine mastery lessons, classes, and servicing. That may decide for you which brand you'll purchase.