Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!! >

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 PM

I personally would not go past a Janome, I am in my 60s and have had two Janomes, still have my first one which I leave at my holiday house and my Patchwork teacher who is a Bernina agent said my Janome was the quietess machine for the age she had seen. I purchased it in 1990 and it still goes like a new machine.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM

I have a Janome Gem Platinum and it's great. Small to carry to classes, you can get several different feet for it. You need at least a walking foot, a 1/4" foot, and a darning foot if you want to do quilting. See how many can be thrown in with the purchace price. I do quilting on it but not big projects. The platnium has alot of different stitches and is computerized. I've had it 6 years now and it still works great! If something happened to it, I'd go right out and get another!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 PM

When I was your age I longed for a sewing machine but had to wait until my 21 birthday before I got my first, part paid for by my husband and my parents with some money from me too....it was a New Home (Janome)...heavy and clunky but sewed great.....over the years as I had money I traded up, buying a better model every few years...I have owned an Elna, Pfaff, Husqvarna and now a couple of higher end Janomes, the 6600 and the 11000SE ....Of all the machines I have had I love the Janomes. They are simple to use and just sew beautifully and are so well priced, but is personal choice.
Apart from the first machine which I bought new I have always traded in and bought second hand machines from the dealer....and have saved soooooooo much money doing it that way.
I have never wanted a Bernina although they are great machines.
so my advice to you would be ...get a pen and paper, draw two columns and write down all the things that your machine must have....and all the things you would love it to have.
Then work out your budget......and start phoning round and find out what machines new and gently used you can get for your money and what do they have, eg needle up/down, drop in bobbin etc...and compare that to your lists....then you should end up getting a machine that does what you want it to do.
If you bought a Bernina and it only does a few stitches but was in your price range.....would you be as happy as maybe buying a Janome that had lots of decorative stitches, one step button hole, needle up/down and lots of feet....see what I mean ?
The internet is a great place to research models and you should be able to download brochure for alot of machines telling you what features they have, even quite a few older models...also maybe ask your teacher and your gran what they think would be a good machine for you...
Make sure you try before you buy.

Then start saving....and soon you might be able to trade up.
Hope this helps....would love to know what you get.

Last edited by Little RoO; 06-28-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:10 PM

I read this article a while back and decided to keep it. I hope it will help and not confuse you.

www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information

Personally I own 3 Janomes plus a Singer overlocker. I would never stray away from Janome unless the machine was going to make the quilt for me.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 PM

There are a lot of good brands out there but the most important thing to me is the dealer and the service they offer. I had a dealer for years that would repair my machine the same day if I was on a tight schedule. I bought a Viking and the dealer promised me great service. I took the machine in for service and I was told they had to send it out for repairs. I waited 10 days to get my machine back. It is so important to have a friendly dealer who services what they sell.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 PM

There's one more brand that you didn't mention...Husqvarna Viking. The Emerald 118 is within your price range and is a great machine. I sell the new Singers and Vikings.
I also recommend an older Bernina, my DD has a 930 that is about 26 years old and still sews wonderfully. Singers from the 1950s-60s are great machines, just stay away from Touch & Sews and anything that has plastic gears. Old Pfaffs made in Germany are good also.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 PM

I found that with Bernina that is what you get is a sewing machine and all the feet are at extra cost. My DH bought me a small Janome for trips to the guild club and then a Juki for a reg. home sewing and I like both and both came with lots of extra feet I did not have to purchase. Now going on 3years for both with no problem with either machine. Do think of your grandparents and parents when purchasing your machine and catch it on sale. Ask the dealer or sales person when they expect a sale and usually they will let you know or may even hold one for you. Have fun sewing.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 PM

I recommend Bernina. I have had Jan0me in the past never had any trouble. Until I got the 11000 & all for the last year &a half all I have had is one problem after another. The dealer nor the company stand behind there machines. I wouldn't buy another Janome.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:03 PM

I have Bernina and love the versatility of the feet. I have used my Bernina Stitch Regulator for about 10 large projects and my machine (440QE) is standing up strong. Dealers have told me that Janome would not stand up to the work that I have put my Bernina through. I have also done embroidery with it. Also, I have had a Bernina Activa machine for about 15 years and it is in perfect working order. It goes with me to classes etc. I know a lot of people who have Janomes and love them. Each one has things to offer I think. The dealer is absolutely most important. The assistance I have had from my dealer is the reason I continue to buy from them. I have also purchased a serger from them and the classes were awesome. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 PM

I purchased a Janome 6600 from a private party through Craigs list. I love it. I had also purchased a Brother from Wal-Mart (can't remember the model number) I think I paid around $300. It is a perfect machine for taking to classes. It is very light weight.
My favorite is the Janome but it is really heavy. (great machine)