Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I like your listing, Sierra.
I see a broad category of "natural wonder" which could be considered in the "landscape" category. I'm thinking waterfalls, mountains, trees, outer space to go with the floral, fauna, and animals.
Also "architecture" as manmade wonder--skyscrapers, houses, electric lines, paired in the building category.
Let's not forget "geometric" shapes --circles, triangles, squares, et al.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 AM

Interesting list, Sierra. With two exceptions, you have omitted everything that is not representational. In other words, almost all of your categories cover quilts that resemble something that exists in real life.

There is a vast body of work in the nonrepresentational field as well...abstracts, collage, mixed media, impressionism, expressionism, and much, much more. Or perhaps those are what you meant by 'bizarre' and 'scrappy'?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 AM

Sierra,

Like your ideas about the Art Q thread, nice set list you made there and I want to use those thoughts in the challenge if you don't mind. You too oksewglad, what I can do with 'architecture'....mmm

You are right on, we definitely need more and more photos I think. One reason we love Q shows is that we want to know what everyone else is up to-- and how they got there. I love the infinite ideas, techniques and ways of expressing things dear to us that an art Q can show.

Organizing a morphing subject like 'art Qs' is a tall order and really could be a whole section by itself with many a thread going on IMHO. I love so many aspects of this type of work and keep discovering new things to try and new ideas to get excited about. One thread really doesn't hold it all.

Also as mentioned by ghostrider there is the whole aspect of non representational works. That is another hugely invigorating playing field where I spend a most of my art Q time actually.

So on reflection I guess the direction of what we have here in this thread at the moment, from the messages presented, is a discussion/support of just experimentation towards 'art'. Many people want to get their feet wet in 'art', or create a personal definition of what an Art Q is for them while some of us are already drenched, coughing and sputtering in arty ideas

I guess my original thought was that the monthly challenge would be a loose theme to give a little direction for each of our personal experiments with the thread as a way for us to then share interpretations and discuss what we've discovered.

I am open and delighted to hear about various trends you guys want to head for. Also will be first to participate in other specific threads anyone wants to start.

Should we have more than one challenge subject/area per month? Or is that a bit too distracting?

As far as I am concerned anyone can work on anything 'arty' and post about it here. We will all learn from it.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:03 AM

"I guess my original thought was that the monthly challenge would be a loose theme to give a little direction for each of our personal experiments with the thread as a way for us to then share interpretations and discuss what we've discovered."

Suzie, your original thought suits me just fine. I am stimulated by others and want to keep getting my feet (hands) wet in new artsy things. As I read about what 'art' quilts are, I find it runs in broad interpretations of the artist. It reminds me of the saying, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 PM

I love making a type of art quilt, called a floorquilt--a fabric decoupaged floorcloth. These are (no-sew) art quilts that you can walk on. Protective coatings (a decoupage medium and a water-based finish) applied over the pieced fabrics, is what makes this possible. I'm not able to post any pictures at the moment. As was mentioned earlier, there are no absolute rules when it comes to making floorquilts--the sky, or in this case--"the floor" is the limit! Happy art quilting! everyone

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-29-2012 at 04:17 AM. Reason: pm to member
Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

I posted this link on the Art Quilt Challenges Monthly thread, but will put it here too. Lots of inspiration.

I've been searching on the web. Are any of you familiar with this site--or am I the only novice here LOL?

http://twelveby12.org/gallery.html
Old 06-29-2012, 03:30 PM

I've been playing in the sun...my yellows and golds. Yellow is the color of creativity. It inspires me and makes me happy at the same time.

This represents 'past and present' to me. My first quilt, a million years ago, was a one patch pieced design of random small squares, much like the background in this piece. My current trend is fused raw edge appliqué that is purely abstract and usually rounded shapes, similar to the foreground design. Thought I'd see if they'd play well together. (8" square)

Old 06-29-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I posted this link on the Art Quilt Challenges Monthly thread, but will put it here too. Lots of inspiration.

I've been searching on the web. Are any of you familiar with this site--or am I the only novice here LOL?

http://twelveby12.org/gallery.html
Hello! I haven't heard of this before, however, it does look interesting. Will have to take a further look. Thanks for sharing this info!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I've been playing in the sun...my yellows and golds. Yellow is the color of creativity. It inspires me and makes me happy at the same time.

This represents 'past and present' to me. My first quilt, a million years ago, was a one patch pieced design of random small squares, much like the background in this piece. My current trend is fused raw edge appliqué that is purely abstract and usually rounded shapes, similar to the foreground design. Thought I'd see if they'd play well together. (8" square)

Oh, how wonderful. I like all that you have done on this sunny quilt.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Oh, how wonderful. I like all that you have done on this sunny quilt.
It's beautiful....love the background and the circle contains some lovely organic shapes.