Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need pattern instructions for strata? quilt >

Need pattern instructions for strata? quilt

Need pattern instructions for strata? quilt

Old 02-12-2011, 08:17 AM
LDB

Way cool quilt. Could this style also be done in a paper piecing method? (I have only done one small block paper piecing so I really have no idea.)
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LDB
Way cool quilt. Could this style also be done in a paper piecing method? (I have only done one small block paper piecing so I really have no idea.)
I don't think so. There's no way to get a curved line with paper piecing, as far as I know. You could try a sample and see.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:43 PM

I haven't done anything like this quilt. But this idea came to mind when I saw the picture. Seems like I've read about it somewhere....

Stack up several large squares of different fabrics.
Cut a curvy line through all layers.
Put the top slice from the first fabric on the bottom on the stack.
Cut another curvy line through the whole stack and repeat the process of moving one slice.
Repeat as desired.

Of course, the squares get smaller as the pieces are sewn back together. I have NO idea how to figure out what starting sizes result in what completed sizes! Guess it might take some experimenting!

Maybe this won't work, but I can't figure out why not.

Sue
Old 02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Sue, I think that works as long as the curves are very gentle. The problem with this technique is that there are no seam allowances, so overlapping curves far enough to sew together can become a problem unless the curves are very gentle.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 AM

Default strata variation

Originally Posted by ConcreteSher View Post
I took a photo of this quilt I saw at a quilt show in Hendersonville, NC, last Fall and I just can't get the idea out of my head! On the attached tag the creator of the quilt stated that she had been inspired by a quilt magazine article on "strata quilts." I have been unable to find anything similar with my on-line searches. It almost looks to me like the quilt is done with some sort of curved paper piecing.

Any help out there? I'm envisioning an underwater scene with waves and fish . . . I already have all of the fabric . . . just no pattern and no idea how to begin!
Oops - Just wanted to let you know that Jean Wells has a technique that is very simple to apply to this type of block construction - whether free form or blocks or not. Her waving and gentle curves and method are easy as I recall. I can't remember the name of her quilt shop in Bend, Oregon but she has published numerous books for Patchwork Quilts books. I saw her demonstration on the PBS show called Quilting Arts. I think her easy method of construction would work perfectly for you. Best of luck.