Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts? >
  • Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts?

• Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by pseudoquilter
    Yep, next to hating binding, cutting is first!
    Is it just me? Am I the only one who actually likes to put binding on & also to cut? I hate putting borders on... hate it, hate it, hate it. That's why I never do anything fancy.
    Old 07-03-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u
    I buy them because I can't resist the variety---and because I'm addicted to anything quilting related.
    Whew... & there I thought it was just me... LOL! I like to try new quilting things & pre-cuts fill that bill!
    Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts
    Is it just me? Am I the only one who actually likes to put binding on & also to cut? I hate putting borders on... hate it, hate it, hate it. That's why I never do anything fancy.
    I'm with you, Burch. Lots of my projects get set aside when I get to the borders. And I don't mind binding but I'm not a big fan of cutting.
    Old 07-03-2012, 02:45 PM

I buy charm packs with specific ideas in mind. I'll buy jelly rolls if a quilt calls for it. I buy FQ because they make for a good stash builder.
    Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 PM

I like precuts because you get some of the whole collection....they all go together well and complement one another.
    Old 07-03-2012, 03:24 PM

I avoid buying them because they're not always straight. I have, on occasion, bought them for a certain color or pattern. When I buy them, it's definitely for the convenience!
    Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 PM

I still cut all my own fabric...I do have a couple of honey buns, but they were gifts. I have bought a few charm packs with extra fabric to match.
    Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 PM

Convenience and the assortment of fabrics that comes in them. I just bought a couple of coordinating French General jelly rolls because it will be easy for me to cut the lengths I need for the blocks.

I didn't feel like searching through my stash and cutting all those 2½" strips.
    Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM

I've only made one quilt with them so far (well, one quilt top, as it's not finished yet!) but I thought they were a lot of fun. We'll see how I feel after I wash my top, though. I'm a prewasher too, so I'm not sure how I feel about precuts yet. Not that it stopped me from ordering more of them, LOL. I really like the scrappy look in quilts, plus I wanted to do a few Project Linus quilts but don't have a lot of bright/cheery/kid-oriented fabric in my stash so I thought some bright precuts would be a good way to quickly make up some fun and cheerful quilts. And for myself I also ordered some Bali Pops - Beverly's has them on sale online for $26; 40 strips of different color-coordinated batiks with no labor - that looked like a pretty good deal to me! Hopefully I won't regret it after washing this top I finished (also with Bali Pops)...I'm not sure yet if I should "pre"wash it alone or after finishing the quilt!
    Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts
    I like cutting too but I'm totally not with you on the binding thing. I suck at it so it's a frustrating and stressful step for me. Of course, I refuse to hand sew my binding so that's a big part of why I screw it up so much! It eventually turns out "okay" but I'm never proud of it. I am getting better at it, though!

And maybe it's nice that none of my friends are quilters; they don't have a critical enough eye to notice all the glaring problems when I'm showing off my latest project! LOL.