Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Am An Addict >

I Am An Addict

I Am An Addict

Old 06-30-2012, 09:11 AM

Just go for it. Also, sew with a friend. That might help.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Don't you know there is nothing "perfect" in this world? Go for it. People used to put a boo-boo in their quilts . I don't know why, but they did.
The "boo-boo" in the quilt was so that it wasn't perfect. Amish did it so they did not offend the Lord with perfection because only God is perfect.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Throw perfect out the window and do the very best that you can......As far as I can seen there is no such thing as 'perfect'.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:10 PM

I sometimes think I have fabric so I can pet it, rather than hurt it by cutting it all up! I always keep several projects going at the same time. That way, if I get tired of one, I can work on something else for a while. Sure is cheaper than therapy--or maybe not! LOL!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:19 PM

I have been quilting for about a year now. EVERY quilted item I have made at least one (mostly more) mistake. Guess what.....no..body...notices!!!!!JUst do it and have fun......
Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 PM

We all have that problem of perfectionism. It helps the read the "Dorky Homemade Quilt" book. I went so far as to buy a potholder made by an Amish person with an 8 pointed star in the middle. And the reason I bought it was because the center points were totally matched up perfectly. It hangs in my sewing room to remind me they don't have to be perfect. I also saw Georgia Bonesteel interviewed on a show and she said it will not be engraved on our tomb stone that all the stitches were even or there were so many per inch, more likely if it were mentioned at all it would be "She loved to quilt." So it is most important to love what you do.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 PM

try, try and try again the more you do the better it get and most people don't see the oops in your quilting. It gets better
Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 PM

What you need to do is to make a colourful simple kiddie-winks quilt and give it to a poorly child and the pleasure you will see when they receive your quilt will drive all thoughts of imperfections out of the doors, I know as I am a Project Linus coordinator.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 PM

The quilt-to-be on your design wall is going to be beautiful!

There is nothing wrong with giving yourself some time to get in the right frame of mind. Lynne Roddy Brown, who was a speaker at our guild recently, held up examples of lovely quilts that took her literally years to complete because she was waiting for that muse between the blocks and the borders. Unless someone is paying you to make them a quilt by a certain date, this is your hobby to enjoy on your terms. Instead of focusing on what you're not getting done, give yourself a pat on the back for the progress you've made already. Feel free to turn your back on it for awhile and do something else - whatever it takes to give yourself a sense of accomplishment. If you enjoy cross-stitch, why not make some designs in that that could be incorporated into a quilt? A few squares in a related theme, surrounded by sashing and cornerstones, and you'd have a pretty wall-hanging that represents both your hobbies. Hang it up where you can see it and tell yourself, "Look what I did!"

A lot of us have grown up being told to "color within the lines". Teachers and parents sometimes inadvertently set up a lot of barriers to creativity. It's time to "throw some paint" and see which splashes appeal to you and which don't. Cutting into the fabric is a way of throwing some paint. Just remember even if it seems ugly when it's done, it is not a waste at all - the cost and the time were investments in your learning process, not just learning techniques, but learning about what you like, that nobody else can discover or dictate for you.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Get to sewing girlie, no one is perfect. My OCD makes me finish a project before I start another one. Therefore, no UFO's. Fabric is only fabric unless you do something with it.