Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you like Your Gammill? >

How do you like Your Gammill?

How do you like Your Gammill?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Dunster, I do not feel Gammel can be considered the rolls royce of longarms any more. Many, many award winning phenominal pros use other brands. Karen McTavish uses an APQS, Our own Green Fairy uses an A1, Renae Haddadin, our own Charisma, Dunster, and myself, we all have Innovas. There are many options out there and Gammell isn't necessarily the only option out there. When trying them out at shows, I found the Gammels rather heavy and more like a truck, especially after getting used to my Innova which seems to maneuver like a sports car in comparison. But the biggest thing I hated was having to adjust the take up roller bar as the quilt progressed and worrying that a single seam running lengthwise down the backing could cause a problem. My rack is a 4 rail system and I never have to adjust any of the rollers. JMHO.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:13 PM

I have a Gammill...bought it new two years ago and have quilted about 200 or so quilts with her. She is a Premier Plus and right now she is in overtime mode. She may not be a Rolls-Royce to others but she is to me...when I bought her she was the best I could find on the market at that time. And I have never had to adjust the takeup bar as I quilted...guess mine's just the perfect lady for me. It's true (I guess) that other ones will do more, but I'm happy with what I've got and wouldn't trade it. The dealer service has been wonderful as well...I'm glad they finally started making others like the Inova, the ADQS and the others so everyone can have a choice. That's what's it's all about...
Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Thanks for all of your input! I will be test driving next week. I've been trying to get all the info I can get before hand. I am so afraid that I might make a wrong decision. Guess that is the butterflies in my tummy. heheeh!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:27 AM

I really do agree with you. I almost bought a Gammill but have decided to investigate some of the others before I take the big step.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think that Gammill used to be the standard, but no more. Now the competition is fierce, and many have features that Gammill does not have. I considered Gammill when I purchased, but found that an Innova was better for me. Look around and compare, and find the one that is right to you.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:52 AM

I love your car references! It made me laugh.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 PM

I just purchased a Gammill in March. Love it although I still need practice with it. My husband looked at many machines with me and finally liked this one for quality and less "play" in the movement. Love the stitch regulator and other features. Turned me into a quilter rather than a topper. Copper
Old 07-08-2012, 01:11 PM

I would advise you to compare all the models (a quilt show is a great place to do that). It had been several years since I had tried the various ones and I was amazed at what all they have now and the great stitches. You need to see which one has the features and feels best to YOU!!! I purchased the Innova and am VERY pleased with it.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM

I agree with Dunster. I have a Gammill Classic Plus (the plus being the stitch regulator). I LOVE Lucy (her name..comes from 'righty tighty, lefty LOOSEY' :::grin:: But the lady I purchased her from was more petite than I. Lucy was just a BEAST for her. Try them all out. Find one that calls your name and fits your budget. If you dont' find one, keep your eye out for a used one. I found Lucy local to me. Happy Hunting!