Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Just checking in today after an extensive detour in summer activities. I notice the discussion is still focused more on how to categorize and subdivide the subject of art quilting than actually sharing what each person is doing with photos. When I first started this thread my sole desire was to create connection with fellow quilters who are currently art quilting or want to. I set up the first art quilt challenge in hopes of stimulating action and participation. I still feel this should be the main focus of this Quilting Board thread.

The challenges are fun and useful for those who like the motivation, but primarily this thread was and should remain, an open learning and sharing environment for all levels of art quilters and wannabe's willing to post their experiences (in word and photos), for everyone reading this thread to enjoy.

Summer in Alaska is short so the majority of my studio time is spent during snow season, but I am involved with an online art quilt group called the Material Maven's and also create art quilt donations locally as time allows, which I will post on this thread. I encourage other quilters to do the same ~ if you've made art quilts, for challenges, donations, or just playing around ~ post photos of them here and share your construction methods, techniques or tips. This art quilt thread was meant to be general and all inclusive but if others want to branch off into definitive categories, by all means, create specific threads for those. However, there is much to learn from every subject and technique we share.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349833[/ATTACH]
Story and construction techniques are explained on the Maven's blog.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	613.1 KB
ID:	349833  
Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 PM

I enjoy seeing art quilts. I find them very interesting.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 AM

Welcome back, Judebug. I like your horse piece. Size?

Regarding your comments about the track of this thread. In my experience, message board discussions are just that...discussions. They ebb and flow like any conversation, often going far astray of the original poster's 'intent'. Attempts to rein them in usually result in killing them.

No one has made any attempt to set up 'category' threads and I doubt anyone will. I feel those too, would wander all over the place and the result would be a half dozen general threads covering all aspects of art quilting...probably very confusing, and somewhat discouraging, to those just starting out while too much work to follow for the rest of us.

There is a great deal of technique discussion on the Challenge thread and a strong advantage of that thread over this, is that it never leaves the first page. That said, there's no reason at all that the two cannot co-exist happily.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Personally, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. There is so much info packed in here and has been a great go-to thread for me to remember brands, techniques, etc. with PHOTOS (). More photos would be fun. We all define art a little uniquely but mainly it seems to be the freedom to explore and express. I love everyone's contributions on this thread. Thanks for starting it Judebug! Love your horse quilt also.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=ghostrider;5374785]Welcome back, Judebug. I like your horse piece. Size?

Thank you Ghostrider. My quilt measures 12" square and is the result of a 'daydreams' theme.

Regarding your comments about the track of this thread. In my experience, message board discussions are just that...discussions. They ebb and flow like any conversation, often going far astray of the original poster's 'intent'. Attempts to rein them in usually result in killing them.

My apology if I put anyone on the defense. My comments about categorizing art quilts was not intended to 'rein in' but hopefully to refocus on the idea of participation (regardless of category or definition) through experimentation and sharing photos.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:09 PM

I'm becoming a fan of Art Quilting and have seen some interesting concepts that I'm planning on incorporating in some future quilts. They fasinate me !!!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Personally, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. There is so much info packed in here and has been a great go-to thread for me to remember brands, techniques, etc. with PHOTOS (). More photos would be fun. We all define art a little uniquely but mainly it seems to be the freedom to explore and express. I love everyone's contributions on this thread. Thanks for starting it Judebug! Love your horse quilt also.
Thank you SewExtremeSeams. I'm glad Suzie set up a permanent Art Quilt Challenges Monthly thread under Forum Main QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests. That helps keep the challenge portion of this thread ongoing, while allowing both threads to happily co-exist. And as Ghostrider pointed out, the Challenges are easier to return to being on one page, however, I find by subscribing to specific threads I want to routinely revisit, I can access them via Quick Links in the tool bar at the top of this page. It's great that you are making use of the info. being shared on both threads. I'm learning from them as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 AM

I have an art quilt that is truly a masterpiece. My Aunt (who is 85 now) embroidered what she named a "President's Quilt". Not having any pattern, she went to the public library and xeroxed copies of photographs of all the Presidents of the United States from George Washington through Clinton. She then "drew" them onto quilt blocks, even embroidering their glasses with gold metallic embroidery thread. The quilt is all done in black and white. She made two of these quilts and my cousin (who has the other one) has been offered $1,000+ for hers. I wouldn't sell mine at any price. As soon as I can get my sewing/bedroom straightened out, I will photo this quilt and post it! It truly is a masterpiece.

Jeanette Frantz
Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 AM

oksewglad, I too, enjoy the site. Recently joined SAQA, Studio Art Quilt Association, and am so glad I connected with them. Is there a group where you live?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:41 AM

Default Presidents Quilt

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I have an art quilt that is truly a masterpiece.
Jeanette Frantz
I can't wait to see the photos of this one! Hope they are on here soon.