Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 PM

My sister and I are still cleaning stuff out of our mom's house. Today, I filled up 6 plastic totes with fabric. Part of it will be donated to a local group that makes hats for cancer patients, and part will go to the quilting guild that my mom was a member of, and most of it will come home with me. And there is more to get. I am overwhelmed with the fabric. I also kept a lot of Mama's cottony shirts to make a few quilts for her grandkids.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
My sister and I are still cleaning stuff out of our mom's house. Today, I filled up 6 plastic totes with fabric. Part of it will be donated to a local group that makes hats for cancer patients, and part will go to the quilting guild that my mom was a member of, and most of it will come home with me. And there is more to get. I am overwhelmed with the fabric. I also kept a lot of Mama's cottony shirts to make a few quilts for her grandkids.
sounds so hard...I'm sure those quilts will be a treasure. Laura
Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 PM

Nancy, We're in Newport, Oregon right now, will be headed home tomorrow. Junking wasn't very productive today, but that's ok, we've had a good time!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Good afternoon, I'm on light duty for a little while so thought I'd take advantage of the time and read this thread. I'm up to page 217... before my list gets too long I thought I'd pose a few questions for the group.

#1. RE: the knee bar for the 128 La Vencedora. Mine doesn't have the knee hole. When it was given to me it had been electrified in the 40's, I took that off and converted it back to a hand crank. Does the knee lever hole indicate a later production that was electrified? I can't picture how a knee lever would work without electricity.

#2. re: Pin rash, any good ideas on a clever replacement wrap? I made one with a flexible plastic insert to protect from more rash but it doesn't make my heart sing.

#3. I've seen the comment a number of times that hand cranks are harder to find than treadles. A possible reason is many church and civic groups have got the word out they are collecting them and then shipping them to places with little or no electricity.

#4. I'd like to find a Singer 15. From what I can find it is a rather plain machine with several badges.
Is there a way to KNOW one if I run across one? What are it's identifiers?
In August 2010 Billy said he would be selling new 15's. Any comments on those machines?

#5. Needlebar.com There were several comments about not hearing back if membership was approved. I registered not long ago and noticed in the introductions forum there were new people every day. So today on a whim I checked to see if my registration letter had showed up in introductions like Alan says they will. Sure enough there it was, the day after I registered. But no notice in my email. So if you've been waiting for that perhaps you've been registered all along? Sign in and see if you can access any of the forums besides introductions.
If not, there are 5 or 6 questions they want answered in the registration letter so check FAQ's

Anyway, I'm enjoying seeing all the machines and hearing about the finds.
Happy hunting, and stitching
Sharyn in Kalama

Featherweight
LaVincedora 128
New Home Treadle 1914
The 128 with the LaVencedora decals were made up until the 1960's, so yes. The machines with kneebars were electric from the get-go.

Pin rash. Cover it with whatever makes you happy. Glenn showed us how to fix it, if you want to go to that degree of refurb.

Hand cranks aren't rare here in the States, but are less common than they are in England/Europe, where space in a home is/was at more of a premium. We have always had a tendency to build larger homes here in the US and treadles were the machine of choice over a handcrank.

The new Singer model 15's are ok, some like them, some don't. Go for a vintage model 15 instead. You get better value and a bit of nostalgia for your money. I don't think Billy ever got into selling them, and you're better off to buy locally anyway, in a transaction that you don't have to pay shipping on.

Needlebar rocks. Yes, you can find information elsewhere on the web, but Needlebar has a high concentration of information, with experts to answer questions.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Power Poster

"The new Singer model 15's are ok, some like them, some don't. Go for a vintage model 15 instead. You get better value and a bit of nostalgia for your money. I don't think Billy ever got into selling them, and you're better off to buy locally anyway, in a transaction that you don't have to pay shipping on." Charlee

I would agree. I've seen some old ones in practically new condition - just needed a tune up & I've seen some pretty beat. I guess old is a relative term - I guess she means as opposed to something recently manufactured. I like them all - the old black ones and the 'newer' ones that look like the radio of an old Chevy. I love these and pick them up if they are in my price range. I clean them up and put them on CL. They are easy to put new wires on and a good idea. Wires, foot control and light can be bought new from Sew-Classic - the machine will be like new then. When Glenn comes we are going to put some new wires on. Many of mine have bad wires. They get brittle and crumble. Especially watch the wires. I have also seen many with perfectly good wires. To replace the wires all you do is buy a new set and a motor, undo the old motor, and put the new one on where the old one was, replace the belt and away you go. I will be choosing to attach new cord wires onto the motors.

Last edited by miriam; 07-19-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:46 AM

Thank you Miriam and Charlee. And Miriam for the longer PM. Thank you for pointing out all machines with the tension on the faceplate are not 15's, it sure is an easy way to thin out everything else though when running through the ebay thumb images

On ebay I saw a pink 15 in Texas, having breast cancer it called to me but part of the fun of looking for something is looking isn't it. I'll scan the local craigslist for awhile. Am in a tiny little town, not much garage sale action but you never know...

thanks again for the input. Sharyn in Kalama
Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
....The new Singer model 15's are ok, some like them, some don't. Go for a vintage model 15 instead. You get better value and a bit of nostalgia for your money. ....
charlee what is a new singer 15 model? i have two 15-91's but i didn't know singer was making a new 15. i would love to see a pic of it.

mary
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 AM

Mary,

I read your question a while ago and went to the Singer home page. Looked it up and down and did not find the Model 15s. I am also curious as I'd like to leave some finger prints on one ....

From the pictures I've seen, they look just like the 15s of old with the Sphinx decals, except they are really very shiny.

I have a case from one I bought from my LSMG. He was noncommittal and said he might still have the machine around the shop somewhere. Sounds kind of silly to me, but that's what he said.

Joe
Old 07-19-2012, 11:45 AM

For those who are near the Sacramento area, there is a nice 1912 treadle Singer red eye for sale. The decals are in great shape. The cabinet does need to be refinished. The irons are in great shape. They want $50 for this machine. Kathie
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Mary, this is a link to a repro model 15...you can tell, the colors are just "off"..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelivi...re/4542594550/