Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portable bobbin winders - yea or ney? >

Portable bobbin winders - yea or ney?

Portable bobbin winders - yea or ney?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 PM

Have a Janome and it doesn't work very well with it .I wondered if the bobbin winder doesn't like plastic bobbins :(
Old 09-24-2009, 03:58 PM

I'm a nay, which is surprising as I usually love gadgets! I always wind several bobbins at once when I get down to my last one, then store them in the tube they came in (Bernina). There are 8 bobbins in the tubes I buy at the dealer ($8). If I didn't have those, I'd use pill bottles - what a great idea!

I will admit to having slid the spool I am sewing with off the thread holder and slipping another on to wind bobbins w/out unthreading my machine. Threading is lickety split until I get to that darned needle... I broke my auto threader & can't for the life of me thread needles late in the afternoon or in the evening.

At our give/trade/sell guild meeting there were a few of these being offered to takers.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:17 PM

I have never used one - won't spend the money on a 'gadget.' Just wind several before I begin a project - this is SO nice to have done!!! :)
Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 PM

:mrgreen: I'm a Yeah! I got mine sometime ago with a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. Use it often enough to keep it out of the box, got tired of getting it out & putting it up. Works just fine with my Janome & Kenmore bobbins, too. As for stopping it whenever you want, just pull the lever back that you push toward the bobbin. Just wish I could of gotten it in pink. But don't feel like I can justify having two. So I will only have my white one. :lol: The only problem if it is one is that it winds so fast that the spool dances, the winder doesn't though.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by SandyMac
Have a Janome and it doesn't work very well with it .I wondered if the bobbin winder doesn't like plastic bobbins :(
Hey there, I have plastic bobbins with my Brother and it works fine. But Janome being in a class of its own might just have slightly larger bobbins.
Wish Ihad a Janome :mrgreen:

Elle
Old 09-25-2009, 02:08 AM

I use plastic bobbins all the time. I have a Singer and I had to get a certain size (they are not universal). If you Google Janome plastic bobbins, you will see that there are bobbins to fit. That is what I had to do with the Singer. Now I am perfectly happy with my plastic bobbins - They come in packets of 10 and aren't that expensive. Then I just load them up. Also, you can check with JoAnn Fab and see if they carry the size for the Janome. That was where I got mine. Good luck to you and happy quilting! Also, use those 40-50% off coupons for things like your bobbins. Then I just double up.

Edie
Old 09-25-2009, 04:54 AM
Banned

I would not have bought one,but I got one for a gift. I like it a lot!!! It has batteries or a power cord.BUT my best part is my little granddaughter was taught to use it and she loves to wind for me. That makes it well worth it for me!!! She feels so important!!!(she is 2 and a half!)
Old 09-25-2009, 05:40 AM

They won't work with Pfaff bobbins---kind of a waste of $ I think
Old 09-27-2009, 07:04 PM

YES. I have 4 different machines, including a short arm quilting machine and I use my bobbin winder for all of them.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Originally Posted by SandyMac
Hey there, I have plastic bobbins with my Brother and it works fine. But Janome being in a class of its own might just have slightly larger bobbins.
Wish Ihad a Janome :mrgreen:

Elle
Most of my machines are Brother...with plastic bobbin but the PQ1500 has metal bobbin a bit diferent..... Would it work for all these machines???
??? :roll: :roll: :roll: