Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My experience with Glue Basting. >

My experience with Glue Basting.

My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 AM

Sorry I have not responded to some of you! I had to go to sleep. LOL. Having a cup of coffee and will start responding. I truly have enjoyed this post. I know it is unusual to respond to every post; but, I just felt like sharing and being a bit one on one.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
Thanks for the advise..
I find it truely amazing how much I absorb from everybody.
Could not agree more! There is so much information available on the board. A great place to explore and learn.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:33 AM

I have used the glue sticks, but will have to try this method for matching up seams!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Ok, here comes the dumb question. How do you keep he seams lined up while getting it ironed and not get your fingers burned? Is there some tool you use? Could you picture this. I'm doing a Little 9 patch I'd like to try this on.
Oh goodness that is a great question. I tried to get a picture/but having an older camera that sometimes does not focus well....the Porcupine Quill, that a fellow quilter sent me as a gift, is what I use. It is sharp and tiny on both ends and works great for holding the fabric in place while placing the iron on top. I think there are numerous items that would work for this step. A toothpick, Chopsticks, the end of the seam ripper, plus I believe there are specific products for this (forgive me, just waking up and brain not functioning) I just can not think of the name. Have a great time experiencing this method and let me know how you like it.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by bstock View Post
Thanks for sharing this with us!! I plan to use this idea soon.
It is funny, I really had to think about sharing....thinking others would think I was insane and off my rocker. LOL. But, after a few more seams, I knew I wanted to share and was hoping to help another quilter find a solution to a similiar problem I faced. Am so glad that I did. I have learned a lot from this post alone and have had a great time responding to all of the posts and getting to know everyone a tad bit more.!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
Love this board - always something new to learn! Will have to keep this in mind and give it a try! Thanks for sharing!
Definetelly have to spend time on the board daily just so I do not miss any wonderful information, dream about making a similiar quilt and some fun laughs.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by KnitnutBZ View Post
What happens if you don't wash it after you are done. Will it show where you glued? Or do you wash all your quilts when they are done..
I have never not washed one of my quilts when finished. But, yes, on some fabrics (like the light ones I am working with) the glue spot does show. Yet, since I always try and glue very close to the edge of the fabric; it usually always disappears in the seam line. On some applique projects, when not paying great attention, I have used a bit to much glue and it ends up being on the outer fabric. In my experience, the glue has always disappeared and never reappeared. As one of the other quilters mentioned, it is a liquid starch product.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Z View Post
Save on the Elmer's School Glue by purchasing it by the gallon and refilling your four ounce or whatever size
bottles you have. Get enough bottles so that you don't have to refill so often. The cheapest that I have been
able to get the four ounce bottles is $1.49 even with back to school sales, 37 cents an ounce. I can get the gallon
for $15.60 or 12 cents an ounce at the office supply store.
Actually, I have thought about doing exactly this....but being on a strict budget at this time, I never seem to have the extra to buy in bulk. But, I will definetely be doing this as soon as our budget has a little extra! Thanks for sharing this idea.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 AM

It is so much easier to use the Elmer's school glue. I recently bound a king size quilt; started with pins and said to DH to heck with this slaughter on my hands and arms, pulled them all out and used the glue! I used it all the way around the quilt and voila! It works! Now I plan to use it to help me match the seams, such a great idea!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
I have used the glue sticks, but will have to try this method for matching up seams!
I hope with your experience, you are as happy as myself and others that have done this method.