Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My experience with Glue Basting. >

My experience with Glue Basting.

My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc View Post

Oh, another fantastic tip! This board is so awesome. And I love my new color lol
It is wonderful how sometimes the easiest solution is the hardest to come up with on our own. LOL. This board is awesome!

Now, your color is great....but, I have not had the chance to change mine yet. Maybe later on today.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
Chicca your quilt top is absolutely beautiful! I have almost finished half of my log cabins and am very pleased with the results. It took me a little longer than it would have but this helped all the ends match up perfectly without me stretching out the fabrics. I will post a picture of the later today after I go get some groceries for the kiddos.

Does anyone have any pictures on here about how thy glue baste their quilts with Elmer's glue? I have a few quilt tops that need to be quilted and would love all the help I could get. Thanks again for bringing up this thread. It has been very educational.
Looking forward to seeing your log cabin quilt! Like you, I was really amazed and totally in awe of the way that the blocks kept there shape. With pins, I always end up with this wonky shaped square and have to fiddle with it and then hope it will reshape itself. With the glue, the FABRIC KEPT ITS SHAPE FABULOUSLY!

I can not remember if I have watched any videos or looked at a photo step by step of the process. But, I bet there are several available. I recommend checking the board tutorials and a search. Sharon Schambers just popped into my brain also. Check out her sight and video tutorials. Hope you share what you find.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
I've never tried this before, and have been disappointed with my results, even with pinning. Will definitely try this! Thanks sew much for sharing!
I had not mentioned another plus about the glue, I found that the fabric did not stretch at all. Which is something I have always experienced with my pinning. I do hope that you are as thrilled as I am and so many others with the results.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Judie View Post
I've used Roxanne's glue baste it.. and it is a fantastic product.. I have not tried Elmers but will now.. I have a ton of that stuff.. Thanks for yet another great idea, pre-tested for all the rest of us!
Pre-Tested, had not thought of it in that way. LOL. I really believe that this is a technique/method that everyone should try and discover for themselves how they like to use it best. I am, after one project totally addicted to this method and its benifits. I do hope that others have the same great experience and it helps them also.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by katybob View Post
After reading this thread yesterday, I tried gluing the seams on a tiny Dear Jane block last night and it worked like a charm! Thank you so much! I've been using a glue stick to stick down the first piece when paperpiecing a long time, especially on some of the Dear Jane blocks that have very tiny pieces.
I really honestly am getting goosebumps and a huge smile!! Knowing that you and others are as thrilled as I am with this method! When I can get the results that I did, I knew that others would also. I bet it really helped wit all of those tiny pieces. I was always afraid to try those mini blocks, but knowing how much this glue helps; I know I will be trying it soon.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
Thank you for your post. Even if it, ever, was talked about before, I missed it. So am thankful for the information, sounds like something this "new" quilter needs.
I really can not rave about it enough. Plus, reading how others use it and how it helps each and everyone of them; I do hope that so many more get to experience it. Just experiment with one strip of a block and find out for yourself. I bet you will be hooked. Compare it to a pinned set and see the difference. Then share what you experience!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:27 AM

Roxanne's "Glue Baste It" glue is Elmers. So buy the great tip or first bottle of Glue Baste It, then refil with Elmers. Now is a great time to purchase Elmers School glue, the price will go up after Back to School.
D in TX
Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 AM

I did this - but honestly I have as much success with just using the regular Elmers tip as I do with the fine tip PLUS you don't have to worry about clogging. Try it with just regular glue tip before you do anything else.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Roxanne's "Glue Baste It" glue is Elmers. So buy the great tip or first bottle of Glue Baste It, then refil with Elmers. Now is a great time to purchase Elmers School glue, the price will go up after Back to School.
D in TX
We are going into town later and I know I am going to be buying some Elmers Washable School Glue. LOL.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I did this - but honestly I have as much success with just using the regular Elmers tip as I do with the fine tip PLUS you don't have to worry about clogging. Try it with just regular glue tip before you do anything else.
I know that with my bottle of Elmers, with this project, I did not have any problems with getting only a small dab of glue each and every time. Yet so many others have posted solutions that I will be trying them before going to the special tip. So I agree with your try it first then try something else.