Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best tool for unsewing? >

Best tool for unsewing?

Best tool for unsewing?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 AM

Default Seam ripper

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I guess it's called Ultra-Pro Seam Ripper With Extra Blades: "The World's Best Seam Ripper".
I use an X-acto knife that looks very similar to this, but the blade is not curved. Works well for me.....
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM

I have to put in a plug for the Bernina seam ripper, sold at the Bernina shops. They are razor sharp, last forever, and I will never buy a different brand of ripper ever again. They are fabulous.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Quite honestly, I prefer razor blades. They are extremely cheap and very sharp.
Years ago I worked at an alterations site, and learned there to use a pan knife. So that's what I use whenever the situation is such that I can
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Absolutely have to echo the marvels of the Havel's seam ripper!! However, do be careful...these are surgical instruments that have been adapted to the sewing industry. They are very sharp... and that's why I love this product, it makes 'reverse' sewing a breeze!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

I bought a seam ripper that I can't live without. I can't remember the name of it, but you can buy it here: http://www.havelssewing.com/seam-rip...pro-18950.html It is so worth the extra cash. You can buy extra blades, but the blade that came with it still works fine after one year. Gingher makes a similar type seam ripper and I bought it, but the blades aren't sharp at all. It doesn't work well. Don't waste you money on it IMO.
I love this one too! A must have.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Smile The small ottlite

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post

For taking out quilting the other tool I find invaluable is a small Ott light. It's small and very bright so you can open it and put it right over the stitches. You can see black thread on black fabric with this little light. http://www.joann.com/ottlite-led-fli...prd_02444446a/
These are marked on sale on the web site (white ones) but when I called a local store, she said they'd be on sale in the store next weekend, but then said Aug 3-4-5- Founders Day Sale. It got great reviews except that it was hard to chg batteries. I'm going to have my DS pick one up for me where they live. Looks good!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
I have the inexpensive Dritz also and it works fine. THe only thing is my eyes aren't what they used to be so I just ordered one yesterday that is lighted. No ratings on it so I don't know what it will work but was 50% off and very affordable.
http://www.joann.com/the-seam-lite-l...er/xprd602457/
By the way, all joann.com notions are 50% off (other things on sale too) so I stocked up on 505 spray and got a couple of other things. Free shipping with $35 order with code AMB210.
I use the cheap little one that came with my Janome - it has the best shape for the tiny machine stitches in quilting. My others were ok for sewing. Look carefully at the shape of the ripper to see if it will sneak under the stitched!
But even more than a good light is (oh I am getting old!!!) a magnifying glass on a stalk so you can use both hands on the ripper and the fabric. I have one stuck on my Ott light but I refused to use it...finally gave in and OMG what a difference! no more punctures!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:10 PM

I bought a seam ripper that I can't live without. I can't remember the name of it, but you can buy it here: http://www.havelssewing.com/seam-rip...pro-18950.html It is so worth the extra cash. You can buy extra blades, but the blade that came with it still works fine after one year. Gingher makes a similar type seam ripper and I bought it, but the blades aren't sharp at all. It doesn't work well. Don't waste you money on it IMO.
I did the same as you. I thought the Gingher would be just as sharp as the Havel, with the plus that a retractable blade would be safer to use. Useless as made. Not sharp and too blunt to fit under stitch. I wrapped the handle of the Havel with rubberized shelf liner stuff to get a better grip. To me the danger is when setting it down/picking up. Gotta make sure the cap is on or you could reach for it and get cut. I wish Gingher would change those blades! I still think retractable with something that sharp is the way to go.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 PM

Someone else gave the url for Superior - and I have to say the Superior seam ripper is the best I've ever used. I bought one at the Tucson quilt show in 2010. It was so good that i bought one for my CT sewing room the next year!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 PM

I got a new one that has a big fat handle (comparitively) that says SKC on the blade along with Japan Techn. It is NOT sharp and I am back to using my old little one that DH put rubber bands around so I can hang on to it (I have pretty bad arthritis). I was so excited to find a fat handle, but the dull blade is a loser.