Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 07-28-2012, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I'm becoming a fan of Art Quilting and have seen some interesting concepts that I'm planning on incorporating in some future quilts. They fasinate me !!!
Can't wait to see your efforts. We all learn so much from both the good and not-so-good experiments.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 AM

Default Decoupage

I tried a new experiment the other day. I wanted to make one of the 'floor quilts' as they sound fun and usable but really full of scope for creativity as well. So I started experimenting with the decoupage techniques, which is what you use for that. I have decoupaged in my day and so thought it would be just a put no brainer to do this kind of work.

This AM when I went into check my placemat sized experiment I found my glued fabric had not stuck to the base or most of my fabrics to each other. The fabric feels more like a stiff paper ribbon and has even curled up. So obviously what I thought was an Elmer's clone down here in South America is not. LOL I am sure I can find great ways of using this new product and it's results. There have certainly been times when I wanted to be able to add a lot of body and curl to a fabric I wanted to use as embellishment.

I am going to wash one piece to see if the results I have now hold up. But of course but I am hoping someone else has had some similar oddball results with various type of glues. If I add 4 more coats will I get a good flat fabric decoupage maybe?

Would love input about fabric and glue. BTW I have heard there is a new well illustrated book coming out on this soon and I think the lady Carolyn is on this board sometimes. I am hoping I do not have to wait for that though. Any experiences amongst you?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	decoupage.jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	351909  
Old 07-28-2012, 07:27 AM

Default July Cool and Refreshing

This is my attempt at the July's cool and refreshing project. I failed at the Angelina fibers – I could not get it to do what I wanted so I pass on that and went with embroidering daisy chains for drops of splashing water. I still want that glistening, sparkling look. I think I’ll use the iridescence glitter and hopefully it will give me what I’m trying to achieve. So let me know if it look like my kids are playing in water or tiptoeing the meadows ….. I could not get the photo to download - my file is too large. Don't understand how some things come thru and others don't. Any suggestions?????

Last edited by sistahdebbra; 07-28-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:05 AM

Hi Suzie! It sounds like your treated fabrics are doing what they should. They may, though, need to be treated in the future with a little more dilluted mixture of decoupage medium and water. Just for the record, I use a decoupage medium, called "Mod Podge" by Plaid. It is similar to white glue, but I have not experimented with anything else at the time. This gives your fabrics that paper-like quality--ideal for cutting accurate shapes. After your treated paper-like fabrics have dried, press them with an iron between two smooth lint-free pressing cloths to remove minor wrinkles, ripples, and creases. Set your iron to cotton, and only iron for a few seconds at a time. The fabrics should also lie a little flatter. Whatever you do, do not wash your treated fabrics. After you have cut your shapes from your fabrics, decoupage or glue them onto a primed canvas. Use an inexpensive gesso primer (helps the decoupaged fabric adhere to the canvas or similar backing) found at most craft stores. What are you gluing your fabrics onto? Try using the primer first. Your fabrics should adhere to the primer with no problems. You will also need to apply a few coats of a decoupage medium over the pieced fabrics once they have dried. I will talk you through this when you are ready. I am planning on doing a tutorial this fall. I will keep you posted on this.

"Garden Pond" (below) is a floorquilt that was easily made in just two weeks. It was inspired by my little pond, my kissing koi, and my curious cat, named Mip. Happy floorquilting!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]351944[/ATTACH]

Hang in there--floorquilting with protective coatings is a new craft with new techniques. The construction of one certainly takes you for a walk on the lighter side of art quilting! The results, though, are well worth it--a personal, practical, and walkable work of art that will last for many years to come....
Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
I tried a new experiment the other day. I wanted to make one of the 'floor quilts' as they sound fun and usable but really full of scope for creativity as well. So I started experimenting with the decoupage techniques, which is what you use for that. I have decoupaged in my day and so thought it would be just a put no brainer to do this kind of work.

This AM when I went into check my placemat sized experiment I found my glued fabric had not stuck to the base or most of my fabrics to each other. The fabric feels more like a stiff paper ribbon and has even curled up. So obviously what I thought was an Elmer's clone down here in South America is not. LOL I am sure I can find great ways of using this new product and it's results. There have certainly been times when I wanted to be able to add a lot of body and curl to a fabric I wanted to use as embellishment.

I am going to wash one piece to see if the results I have now hold up. But of course but I am hoping someone else has had some similar oddball results with various type of glues. If I add 4 more coats will I get a good flat fabric decoupage maybe?

Would love input about fabric and glue. BTW I have heard there is a new well illustrated book coming out on this soon and I think the lady Carolyn is on this board sometimes. I am hoping I do not have to wait for that though. Any experiences amongst you?

Name:	Garden20Pond.png
Views:	423
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	351944  
Old 07-28-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by sistahdebbra View Post
T I could not get the photo to download - my file is too large. Don't understand how some things come thru and others don't. Any suggestions?????
I am a Mac person so this may not help..... but......in your photo program you should be able to go up to the menu bar and under some option there should be a way to actually 'export' your photo. As you try this it should give you options at some point.. you want one that has 'small, medium or large' for choices. I always save my 'new' smaller copy of the photo to the desktop and that way I can see if it is small kb enough to upload to the forum.

Basically there is a tutorial somewhere that tells you how to make a photo small enough to export in an email and those are the techniques you need

I can't wait to see what you are up to.

PS there are no 'failures' just new art materials created to be used elsewhere, later. LOL
Old 07-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynA View Post
Hi Suzie! It sounds like your treated fabrics are doing what they should. They may, though, need to be treated in the future with a little more dilluted mixture of decoupage medium and water-------
Hang in there--floorquilting with protective coatings is a new craft with new techniques. The construction of one certainly takes you for a walk on the lighter side of art quilting! The results, though, are well worth it--a personal, practical, and walkable work of art that will last for many years to come....
Carolyn it is good to see you back here on the forum and thanks for the heads up about being on the right track. I will keep moving forward and do a little more prep as you suggested and play with my glues. Down here in SA I have the added delight of needing to try out materials when I don't even know what I am doing yet. Fun though it brings out my 'mad chemist' !
Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 PM

Fun, mad chemist, I love it! Let me know what materials you have available there Suzie, including any substitutes for the gesso (acrylic) primer. The primer adds that necessary texture for your pieced fabrics to adhere to, as well, it also adds stability. Your paper-like fabrics look fine. When you iron them, use a steam iron, set on cotton. Cotton/polyester pressing cloths will work best, and will protect your iron, ironing board, and fabrics. Let me know when you are ready for the next step, and remember, when it comes to art quilting--the sky, or in this case--the floor is the limit!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 PM

While we're on the subject of flooruilts, I should add that there is a book on floorquilts--"Floorquilts" (Fabric Decoupaged Floorcloths No-Sew Fun) by Ellen Highsmith Silver. Just google the title, if you are interested. I've been so busy, and am not sure of an exact date to when I will be able to do the floorquilting tutorial. It is certainly on my list, though, of things to do. Happy quilting everyone!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:47 PM

It's nice to hear from you too! Suzie, and good to hear about the progress on your home. I'm not fully unpacked yet, and my fabrics, as well, are in plastic bins. I lost my workshop with the sell of our home, so I will have to make another--one of these days..... For now, it's the dining room table. After you choose your flooring, let me know what kind of "floorquilt" that you would like to construct. When you are ready, I will talk you through the process, based on the photos from my shop. We can use this thread if you like, so that others who are interested can follow along. I'm still planning on that tutorial, but after a major move, and my dad, who had triple-by-pass surgery, only to find out that he is terminal from Mesothelioma, I've been very pressed for time. So hang in there, once the home is finished, you will be constructing more quilts then you will know what to do with, including floorquilts! Have a great end-of-the-weekend! Carolyn
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Fireworks Painted Wholecloth Quilt

Here is the painted Fireworks quilt I've made this summer. I am including a PDF file explaining my process. I'm now painting a map quilt of our family farm which has been in the family since 1856 and is presently owned by my brother. I'm using different techniques on it. I've really enjoyed seeing all of the exciting projects all of you are doing. Keep up the good work!

Name:	Painted wholecloth quilt.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	426731  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Painted Quilt.pdf (153.5 KB, 122 views)