Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make? >

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

Old 07-29-2012, 04:44 PM

I tend to make quilts with a occasion in mind birthday, Christmas etc. Right now I am using up scrap material to make tops. I only have 2 done because something always comes up and I need a quilt so what ever top I am working on gets finished for that occasion. I have a large stash of garage sale and thrift store fabric. Comes in handy. I needed a Green Bay Packer quilt for a very sick child and was nice to have that fabric all ready on hand. I keep wanting to make fancy pieced quilts but find I always drift back to my tried and true scrap quilts. LOL!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 PM

When I finished my first quilt (it was a nap throw size) my husband asked me what I was going to do with it. I could tell he was asking out of more than curiosity. When I asked if he would like to have it I got this great big grin and a nodding head. So he got it. That was perfect because the fabrics I chose reflected our love of the sea and our boating years. In fact, it is the one I use for my avatar. The second quilt I just finished. It is a full size bed quilt for my son and daughter in law for their first anniversary. The third one is in the frames and I just started quilting it. Since I hand quilt and work full time, it takes me a while to complete one. This one was a project from a quilt piecing class I took. I really like it, but haven't decided what to do with it yet. It is kind of masculine, so may give to my younger son. I am starting to piece a spool quilt for my youngest grand daughter. So that will make four when complete. After all the family is taken care of and maybe one for me, I will look to quilting for charity. It is wonderful how many of you do so many for charity, and I suppose most are machine quilted which would probably go faster than my hand quilting. Also perhaps you are gifted with more time than I have right now. Either way, I think it is very thoughtful.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:46 PM

I have been lucky enough this year to hit the 'motherload' at several yard/estate sales on fabrics from quilter's descendants. It's just a shame the sons/daughters didn't share their passion for this beautiful hobby, but wonderful that they pass them on at extremely low costs to those of us who do. Most of my quilts go to family members as gifts, but some I keep for my own home.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:02 PM
QM
Power Poster

My first 7 quilts were for neices and nephews. In my guild's quilt show next month, I will have 22 quilts. One is a wedding quilt for my granddaughter (currently 11). 6 are gifts for other family members. 4 are to be auctioned. 2 are gifts to non family members. The others are intended for a local charity. I don't usualy do my charity quilts until after Labor Day. In all, I think about half of my quilts go for kids in out-of-home placement. My DH and I are not shy about keeping what we want, but we have very limited space. I try to have one or 2 always on hand since one never knows when a gift of a quilt will be important. I only had one when my brother was suddenly diagnosed with very rapid terminal cancer, but that one seemed to ease his mind. I have given several quilts for fund raisers. I can do more for a local charity that way than with a $ gift.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:56 PM

Grand kids, charities and a few I have kept. Had one I was paid for but only charged about half price as it was for a long time friend of DH. I was really proud of that one as I did everything myself from designing up to binding and sending it to him. The whole quilt was made of 2 1/2" HST.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 AM

I do some charity quilts, some are intended for special people, some just pile up until I need a gift, some are in use...all sorts of catagories LOL I just keep 'em coming. It's an obsession, but I am willing to part with them(eventually)
Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 AM

I am laughing! Love your response Scissor Queen! I was thinking that I will leave a number unfinished so those who like to do puzzles can figure out the pattern while muttering "What was she thinking when she cut those pieces?" Other quilts left behind will be finished tops that need to be quilted so some one else can learn the craft.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 AM

I've thought the same thing. I spend at least $100 per quilt just on fabric and batting. But I looked into some charity guide lines and am shocked that they are so "demanding". Thread is cheap, so I wouldn't mind just quilting for them, but since I'm still "green", I'm thinking my quilting wouldn't be good enough for them! And I know my binding wouldn't be!!! I don't think that makes us horrible people tho. There are millions of people who aren't making quilts for charities either!

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I feel horrible. I have never given a quilt to charity. I give them to family only, and to my husband. I buy the expensive fabric and have them LA quilted and I don't know if I could spend that much money on a quilt and then give it to charity. That would be like $250. Am I horrible??? I don't machine quilt, so I can't defray the cost of the quilt by doing it myself. I give them as Christmas, Anniversary, birthday, etc. gifts. I just don't know if I could donate one. Now I feel bad. I read how all of you donate so many of your quilts. 20 a month? I don't make that many in a year. I feel guilty for not donating. Maybe I could make pillowcases and donate them, but I just can't do a $250 quilt.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I tell my hubby they're for the girls to fight over when I'm dead. I get a look and he leaves me alone. LOL

Scissor Queen.....I love this comment!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:53 AM

Look at them and admire them.