Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oliso Smart Iron >

Oliso Smart Iron

Oliso Smart Iron

Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 AM

I noticed on the last Fons and Porter 2000 series that they switched to a Reliable brand. They use to do the Oliso. Don't know why they changed.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:29 AM

On the subject of the Fons and Porter Show, it probably all has to do with advertising and politics
Old 08-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Several years ago, this iron was the rage at the Houston Quilt Festival. Large crowds around their booth for the demos. I do not remember the exact price of the iron at the time; but it was well over $200. I did not consider buying one at the time. Thought the pop up feature was probably a gimmick. I was surprised to discover the next year, they did not have a booth at the Festival. Made me wonder if quilters were happy with it.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
I bought a Reliable last year, was planning on the Oliso but read several bad reviews. I can't say enough good about the Reliable iron, it was pricey but worth every penny. Mine is the Reliable Digital Velocity.
I own a Oliso (put away) and have the Reliable Digital Velocity also. I love the steam, but I hate where the button is put. Every time I grab the handle, I accidentally hit the button (which is on the top of the handle) and it turns it on low. Then a few minutes later I go back to iron and I have to reset the darn iron. If they could move the on/off low/high button off the top of the handle, it would be the perfect iron. I try not grabbing it by the top part, but somehow, I always hit the dang button and then it turns the heat down to low AGAIN! And I have to wait about 5 minutes for it to heat up hot enough. My first Oliso I loved, but after a year it wouldn't heat up. I called them and they had me send it back to them and within two weeks they sent me a free replacement. I think I need to get it back out and use it instead of the Reliable. But the steam on the Reliable in unbelievable. It ROARS!!!!! It's awesome!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Agree with the naysayers. Would not recommend the Oliso. Mine stopped working....the 'legs' wouldn't go back in unless I shut it off and waited for it to warm up again so it was no good for quilting at all.

But I love the concept! ;-)

Last edited by drJaner; 08-05-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:44 AM

I may be missing something concerning irons, but I buy what ever cheap little steam iron I can find. The last one I purchased at Walgreen's when I went to pick up a Rx. I think I paid $13 for it. I only replaced the previous one because the bottom had gotten scratched (after using for 7 yrs.), but since I probably paid less than $20 for it, I considered it a throwaway.

I use mine with steam for ironing cloths, and dry with spray sizing for pressing fabric after washing. I use dry for seams when piecing. Since I'm kind of new to quilting, if there something I should know about the need for these expensive irons?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Default Love it!

Originally Posted by HilaryK8 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RicsdZAW7_s

Does anyone have this iron!? I feel like I need it!!! I's like reviews from real people before I buy it.
My husband bought me the yellow one (higher wattage) and an oversized ironing board for my quilting as a birthday present last year. The safety features are great on it. Just REMEMBER when you use someone else's iron that theirs probably doesn't pop up like yours.I scorched a friends ironing board cover.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:34 PM

I have had one for about 6 months. I still have not gotten used to it. Drives me bonkers. Next time I'll spend the extra and get another rowenta. Has a lot more steam holes and it is heavier.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:08 PM

I love(ed) the Reliable especially for the shut off bypass and steam. At just about a year It stopped heating. They had me send it in - to Canada! International shipping and paperwork. Got it back and after a couple of weeks went out again. Back to Canada at their expense. I have it back but havent used it much as it is just like a space heater so will wait til the weather is cooler. In the meantime I bought a $13 Black And Decker. Works great! If the Reliable goes out again, it goes into the trash!

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I own a Oliso (put away) and have the Reliable Digital Velocity also. I love the steam, but I hate where the button is put. Every time I grab the handle, I accidentally hit the button (which is on the top of the handle) and it turns it on low. Then a few minutes later I go back to iron and I have to reset the darn iron. If they could move the on/off low/high button off the top of the handle, it would be the perfect iron. I try not grabbing it by the top part, but somehow, I always hit the dang button and then it turns the heat down to low AGAIN! And I have to wait about 5 minutes for it to heat up hot enough. My first Oliso I loved, but after a year it wouldn't heat up. I called them and they had me send it back to them and within two weeks they sent me a free replacement. I think I need to get it back out and use it instead of the Reliable. But the steam on the Reliable in unbelievable. It ROARS!!!!! It's awesome!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:46 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by cpower View Post
As the Consumer Show Manager for Oliso, I would like to thank those of you that love you Oliso! Those of you that have had problems I urge you to contact our customer service dept in San Francisco, which btw...you will get an English speaking person! Please leave your name, phone number, good time to reach you and the serial no from the iron. We do stand behind our product!!

For those that want an Oliso iron...see me at one of the Quilt shows across the US! Manchester, NH, Grand Rapids, WI are the next two I will be at! Really big deal on the TG 1600 at those two shows!!

I was thinking there had to be a way to return the irons for either money back or a new one. I appreciate your stepping forward to let us know this information CPower.. I am thinking about buying one of the 1600's as I like the ability to not have to set an iron up due to tip over. My iron just quit working after 20 years and I have heard so many negatives about many irons, but I do like the idea behind this.
I would hope an iron company would take heed of what is said on blogs like this great one and come up with a iron that is versatile for both the home sewer, garment maker, quilt maker in us all. I , too, don't like the spit and sputter when one has steam, but for some items steam is needed.