Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My daughter gave me a terrific birthday gift! >

My daughter gave me a terrific birthday gift!

My daughter gave me a terrific birthday gift!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Don't ya just love it when your family really know who you are? I got two fat quarters and some needles from my 12 and 15 year old grandsons for Christmas last year. They sucked it up and went into my local quilt shop picked the items out themselves. Your daughter was so thoughtful. What fun for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 AM

You are so lucky. Good for you that your daughter was able to do this for you. YEA Congrats and Happy Birthday. I get one in 3 more days. YIKES
Old 08-05-2012, 11:36 AM

What a thoughtful thing for your daughter to do for you. Enjoy those lessons.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 PM

It's a perfect! gift. It's a little intimidating at first, but fun! By making a couple of tops to learn on you'll have good use of your lessons. On one of my practices I just took two pieces of fabric and used that. (I'd attach a pic if it wouldn't take me so long to figure it out.) It's amazing how all the twists and turns can make plain fabric look good. Have fun!!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:53 PM

You are sooo lucky!! Great gift AND a wonderful thoughtful daughter. Happy Birthday a bit late. Enjoy!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:28 PM

I do not like to "practice" on my quilts. Charity quillts are a great "practice piece" and then you can quit your own quilt after you feel comfortable with your practices. By working on the charity quilts, you are learning to control the machine and you are helping a worthwhile charity by finishing the quilting process. A lot of ladies like to piece the top, but don't like to do the acutal quilting. If you do not already belong to a guild, consider joining or at least volunteering to quilt for them. You'll find it is a lot of fun and you get a lot of satisfation out of knowing you have helped finish quilts for their charity(s). One other thing I do for one of my "good" quilts is to practice on a piece of muslin. I quilt it like I want to quilt the "real" quilt. I get the "practice quilt" and the "real quilt" in the end. The practice quilt also makes a great dog bed.

Ellen

Originally Posted by tezell0801 View Post
The family celebrated my birthday tonight. My youngest daughter gave me a gift certificate for long arm quilt lessons at the Sew and Vac store near me!!!!I am thrilled. She knows I am so interested in this, at least trying it to see if it is for me or not. I can not believe she thought of this and did this for me. I have the best daughters ever! now I have to get busy and make a couple for small quilts really soon so that I can have something to practice on once lessons are over if I like it.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Happy Birthday and wooohoooo daughter (you rated points for sure !!)
Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Great gift!!! Thoughtful daughter. You might want to check with the LA quilt teacher ... when I took a class I was asked to bring a small quilt top for a pantograph, a stripped quilt with several pastel colors 6" wide to practice different stitches and a couple of yards of fabric to design a whole cloth. It was great and I learned a lot. Most of all ... greatful for LA quilters!!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM

What a great gift!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM

Daughters can turn out very special when they become adults, just get through age 13 !!!! Kidding, well sort of! Adult daughters are wonderful