Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oliso Smart Iron >

Oliso Smart Iron

Oliso Smart Iron

Old 08-05-2012, 04:00 PM

We have one in the classroom at Joann's I use it all the time been working great for 7 months, no issue with it except people always want to put it up on end, I have the Rowena steam generator and have not had a problem with that had it about 6 or 7 years now... Well worth the money
Old 08-05-2012, 04:08 PM

I love mine. I have difficulty lifting and holding/gripping on to things. Yes, it was expensive, I had to save for it, but would do it again.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Irons are a pain in the neck it seems. I am having trouble with my Sunbeam. Not the pricey type like the ones mentioned in this thread, but 30.00. It only worked about 6 weeks. I contacted customer service and they sent another one. Now it is acting up. I'm going to get one of the cheap throw away ones. Had a B&D for several years, it worked great until it just up and died.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 PM

Default Reliable iron

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
I bought a Reliable last year, was planning on the Oliso but read several bad reviews. I can't say enough good about the Reliable iron, it was pricey but worth every penny. Mine is the Reliable Digital Velocity.
My Reliable has died twice. Had to send to Canada which involved International shipping and paperwork.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 PM

Mine is about 2 years old, drips occasionally, but I absolutely love it! I have not once knocked it over on the floor like I used to my old ones that I had to set upright. It cleans easily and reheats promptly. I will buy another one to replace this one when it retires.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by HilaryK8 View Post
BINGO! http://www.joann.com/search/_oliso/

Okay, I've heard a lot about the Rowenta. Could someone tell me more?
My Rowenta has worked fine for 10+ years, and I bought it either at Target or B, B & Beyond. It uses tap water and doesn't leak. It gets good and hot, the steam works well without spitting. I'm happy with it. Mine isn't heavy, so it's a good match for me. Good luck on finding an iron that is just right for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 PM

First one I had spewed water everywhere. The company sent me a new one and I loved it for a year. Doesn't matter that it's heavy, you don't lift it. 30 minute shut off is awesome. Then one day it laid itself down and would not stand up again. One year of use for $120 does not work for me.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM

There was an Oliso representative at the Long Beach International Quilt Show in July who was taking orders for 2 different models of the Oliso iron that she was demonstrating in the booth that were to be shipped in mid August. She had none for sale in the booth because she said they were changing manufacturers. That was a bit of a red flag for me.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Elaray View Post
The pop up feature is a cute gimmick (and I love a cute gimmick) but I really love the 30 minute shut off. Only the yellow one has the 30 minute shut off.
I do not have one, doggone it, my steam iron I've had for about 30 years just keeps on working, LOL! (It's a Sunbeam.) But I did see the Olisio demo'ed at the State Fair and have been wanting one ever since. You are right in that the two cheaper models have an 8-minute auto turn-off, as I recall, only the most expensive one has a 30 minute one.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
I had just watched a You Tube video of Jenny Doan this morning - and noticed that her iron was different. This was the iron she was using! Looks interesting, but seems like mixed reviews. I don't know if I could part with that much money for an iron that may or may not last for several years. Think I'd rather have more fabric!

Fons & Porter has used the Olisio for a long time, but noticed they had a different one last week (since it is summer, this show could have been a re-run though.)