Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one???? >

Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 AM

Personally, my fabric budget is so tiny that I rarely have enough fabric "laying around" to do more than one at a time. I'm also the kind of person that doesn't like to leave things unfinished. I'm "all or nothing" so it either gets done now, or it gets done never. (or in 5 or 6 years, which won't work because most of my projects are for babies...and babies grow up!) Having a due date for a baby makes a nice deadline to finish something.

So, while there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a hundred projects going at once (some people get bored of it if they stick to one thing too long), I'm not that way. (And it's okay if you don't want to be that way.) I like to see the finished product. Otherwise I run out of steam.

Once in a very great while I'll have something more pressing come up and I'll have to pause one project to do another, but I know if I don't get back to the first one soon it will get lost. Like the sunday pants I tried to make for my son who was 4 or 5, and now is 8......let's not go there (I'm not much of a clothes maker).

Good question!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 AM

Guilty! I have about 4 or 5 large projects going at the same time and I struggle not to try any new pattern until at least one of the UFO's get done. Especially when the new quilt magazines come in the mail!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jj1150 View Post
I have just finished two rag quilts (sooo easy); and am in the process of another rag quilt for my new granddaughter ....

but, but, but, I keep thinking of ALL the patterns I want to make!!! And techniques I need/want to learn (like *how to finish* a quilt, instead of making ALL rag quilts!!) lol

And in my other hobbies: counted cross stitch, knitting ~ oh, especially knitting. Have sooo many unfinished projects, it's not even funny A few pair of socks .... tops, etc. I think the only knitted items that ever got finished were a few shawls.

So, I am hoping to do: One Quilt At A Time!!!! So they WILL get done and not stored somewhere to be finished later (and sometimes, later, NEVER comes).

So, do YOU have multi projects going??? And, if so, do you ever go back and finish them???

Just curious I guess!!! And so hoping NOT to have unfinished quilts all over the place

jody
I always have more than one project going at a time. I do try though not to get too many. But I do have some finished quilt tops that need to be quilted.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by jj1150 View Post
I have just finished two rag quilts (sooo easy); and am in the process of another rag quilt for my new granddaughter ....

but, but, but, I keep thinking of ALL the patterns I want to make!!! And techniques I need/want to learn (like *how to finish* a quilt, instead of making ALL rag quilts!!) lol

And in my other hobbies: counted cross stitch, knitting ~ oh, especially knitting. Have sooo many unfinished projects, it's not even funny A few pair of socks .... tops, etc. I think the only knitted items that ever got finished were a few shawls.

So, I am hoping to do: One Quilt At A Time!!!! So they WILL get done and not stored somewhere to be finished later (and sometimes, later, NEVER comes).

So, do YOU have multi projects going??? And, if so, do you ever go back and finish them???

Just curious I guess!!! And so hoping NOT to have unfinished quilts all over the place

jody
Uh, yes, sometimes, maybe, and no (LOL).
Yes I have more than one project going, sometimes I go back to them quickly, maybe not all of them ... some have been around so long I'm not even sure what I was making!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:04 AM

I usually have several things going at once unless it is a quilt that needs to be finished by a set date such as a birthday, etc. I have things in various stages of completion- here a little bit, there a little bit. LOL. After meeting a challenge the other day and realizing how many UFOs I really have, I am making plans to get back on some of them. Several I had forgotten about - out of sight - out of mind. Hopefully, I'll have some pleasing results to show off soon.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 AM

i've been trying - and thus far this year succeeding at multi-tasking. because i like to sew in the family room - i do several quilt tops, all the cutting and piecing...then when i get 3 or 4 done...put all the piecing supplies away and do the layering, quilting of each one. seemed to help keep things less messy and me more organized and actually getting things completed....then again, there's still that box in the sewing room with UFOs from last year i have yet to open like my quilts, i am a work in progress !!!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM

I ALWAYS have multiple quilt projects going on ... plus others like punchneedle, embroidery, home decor etc ! I get bored working on just one thing, I like the process and the techniques best, not just the finish !! ... that's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking with it ... Lol

Last edited by TexasGurl; 08-08-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM

I always have at least 3 or 4 projects going at a time. Currently I have 10 that I am actually working on. All in different stages of work.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM

When the inspiration comes...start it and you will finish it in a timely manner. It's the ideas to run with...UFOs either get moved on to others or "getter done" attitude takes over.

I took a class where the instructor said ,"If the project taught you something at that time...that's all you need ...just give it to someone else to finish and know you learned from that project. " I went home and gave away 5 UFO 's.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
I make lots of tops.Then I quilt them all, one after the other...sort of production line and the one I do last, after all the practice,generally looks the best.
Me too. I got a long arm last year. it would probably be better if I pieced one then quilted it because i would be using the LA on a more consistent basis, but... so far I piece several, get some from friends & relatives & charity tops, then quilt them all. Then go back to piecing. I tend to finish piecing a top before I start the next one unless I decide I hate it part way thru.
I knit in the car. Seems I spend a lot of time there as my husband doesn't like to go anywhere by himself. Sure I want to go to the hardware store and buy some PVC pipe.