Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lst night I met the Quilt Police! >

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:38 PM

I LOVE your reply! Unless the entry form stated specifically where the label was to be place, I'm all for originality!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

sorry- doesn't really sound like a 'quilt police' situation- generally when entering your quilts in any shows/fairs- they have fairly set rules- and where they want the labels are standard to their venue- it is our job as (participants) to check the rules & follow them- i have seen people with absolutely stunningly beautiful quilts have their quilts turned away because they did not follow the venue guidelines. you are lucky your quilts were even accepted- if they have a standard label placement & you chose to ignore it.
i often have quilts i'm entering that may have a label in the wrong place- i cover it with a piece of muslin (or matching fabric- and put a temporary label containing the information asked for in the location required.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I put mine on the lower right hand corner, would have gotten a lecture also.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:26 PM

Oh dear, I just entered two quilts in the state fair and I am guilty of not knowing they wanted the labels in lower left hand corner. One of them had a flower basket in the center and a sleeve on the back so it should of been very easy to tell which way to hang it.. The other is a New York Beauty and it can be hung either way.. I had them in the county fair and did not know that either.. Thanks for letting us know, I have belonged to several guilds and I don't think I was aware of this...
Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 PM

I just got mine back from our county fair, with blue ribbons and my labels were wrong too. We have quilt police here also. One commented that my colors were "unusual". Hummm, pink and yellow flowers with green leaves "unusual"? Our quilts are all winners from the effort and love we put in them!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:58 PM

You are right, if they had specifics about labeling they certainly should have had it listed somewhere. I think I would have asked her who made up that rule and where was it written. It doesn't sound like she was very encouraging to a new displayer. Some people are just anal!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by lhunt825 View Post
Hi everyone. I am new to quilting and this is my first post. I read ya'll every day and have learned so much from your expertise. However, I have a question. What do you put on a quilt label? I have just finished my first large quilt (queen sized). it is ready for the label.
A label, more than anything is to identify the owner of the quilt, the year made, but also a place for the quilt's history - the name you gave the quilt (if any), the pattern it was taken from, credit to the pattern maker, that sort of thing. If you read many articles published about older quilts, lots of them are 'maker unknown'. A label clears that up for future generations.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:04 PM

I didn't know that either. I put mine on the lower right backside. However, I don't enter any in shows so I guess it doesn't matter. many of my quilts can be hung or looked at from any direction so there is no incorrect up or down.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 PM

I realize they have to have rules, but good heavens, she's taking things WAY too seriously! Congratulations to you for entering your quilts, am keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by mzlisa View Post
Oops, I've been doing it wrong. I have put the labels on the few quilts I've made in the lower right hand corner.
I have always put my labels on the right hand bottom corner on the back of the quilt. But that is my choice and I never enter my quilts into shows to be judged (well other than ordinary folk just wandering around looking at them) and their opinion means nothing to me, it's my quilt and I put on it what I like and where !!