Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of my idea for basting quilts? >

What do you think of my idea for basting quilts?

What do you think of my idea for basting quilts?

Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 AM

As soon as I saw Pinmoors, I thought about using foam hearing protection. So glad to know it works!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Have you considered spray basting outside? ... Another option is to purchase a couple of 4x8 foam boards from a home supply place, create duct tape as a hinge for them, and prop them against the outside of a house as a smooth surface to spray baste.

One nice thing about spray basting outside is you don't have to worry about overspray!
I'm definitely going to try this. In not only saves surfaces from overspray, but it would surely be better for my lungs than trying to use the stuff indoors. I seem to start coughing a little as soon as that spray is in the air. It goes away almost immediately, but I figure it's my body trying to tell me something that may be important.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I'm definitely going to try this. In not only saves surfaces from overspray, but it would surely be better for my lungs than trying to use the stuff indoors. I seem to start coughing a little as soon as that spray is in the air. It goes away almost immediately, but I figure it's my body trying to tell me something that may be important.

Or spray it outside or in the garage, and then bring inside to assemble
A friend of mine does it that way, and finds it works well.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:50 AM

I just spray baste on top of my bed, and use a few pins.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:40 PM

You can take your quilt top and back outside, spread them out and spray with the spray baste. After a few minutes pick them up and take them in and spread out on the bed, table, whatever you use and proceed as usual. If it sticks to itself, just pull it apart. This works great.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:11 PM

I have a question. I thread basted a quilt, and when I quilt it on my machine, the thread snags and pulls. Any suggestions???
Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I have a question. I thread basted a quilt, and when I quilt it on my machine, the thread snags and pulls. Any suggestions???
Thread basting is best for quilts that will be hand quilted. When machine quilting a thread-basted quilt, most people will snip and pull out the basting thread in the area they are machine quilting (which is one reason why most people do not thread baste a quilt that will be machine quilted).

For machine quilting, the preference is for either spray basting or pin basting the sandwich.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 PM

I can see why! I clip it in the area I'm quilting... it's getting caught on the corner of the table and the foot when I'm shoving it under the needle lol

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Thread basting is best for quilts that will be hand quilted. When machine quilting a thread-basted quilt, most people will snip and pull out the basting thread in the area they are machine quilting (which is one reason why most people do not thread baste a quilt that will be machine quilted).

For machine quilting, the preference is for either spray basting or pin basting the sandwich.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 PM

I take my large quilts to my church (about 5 miles away) and use one of the class rooms to layer/pin/baste my quilt. The long narrow tables are easy to set up/take down. I just put 2 or 3 together; makes a perfect area for large quilts. I have several sets (of 4 to a set) of those bed leg risers, usually from yard sales. They put the tables up about 5-6 inches...so much easier to layer quilts.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 PM

for basting, i use iron on fusible web hemming tape. you just tear it in peices, aprox 1", and place between fabrics and iron to stick, if fabric stretches when you sew you can re-iron and pull fabrics apart to re-position then iron to glue again. can be sewn straight through. I find it a lot easier than pins especially with arthritic hands.