Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you like in a quilt pattern? >

What do you like in a quilt pattern?

What do you like in a quilt pattern?

Old 08-11-2012, 05:56 AM

I think I have figured out why Knitette had trouble with the math in those blocks. It was the "x". 8x2 1/2 squares means cut 8 of the 3 1/2 squares. The word SQUARE is the key. This was no place for an "x". That usually means "by", as in 8x2 1/2 means a piece 8 inches by 2 1/2 inches.
I am also confused by the terminology on this site. I have figured out a lot of it, and a lot of it doesn't matter. LOL
I took a class last year with a pattern that asked to "furl" the seams on a 4 patch. I couldn't figure out why, so I asked the instructor. She really didn't know, so I just nested the seams normally. When I got to sewing the rows together, I found that the seams underneath were facing toward the needle, and needed to be coaxed into going under the needle without flipping back. When I added to the quilt later, I furled all those seams so that all seams went the same way as you went around the square. That one seam just pops open as you coax it with the iron. Then you end up with a teeny four patch in the middle of the wrong side of the 4-patch. Too bad I can't give you a picture of this. When I sewed the new rows together, all the seams were facing the correct way.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:02 AM

Being a very visual person I like to see pictures when directions are written out.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 AM

I do think that you should make a real effort to write clear directions so that anyone can figure them out. So often gifted designers don't know diddly about writing clear directions. If necessary, get a "sewer" to proofread for you. Good luck on this exciting venture.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:17 AM

I like GOOD illustrations. That means color and computer rendered, not something hand drawn. Have actual pictures of the finished quilt, not just the computer rendering. Make sure your cutting directions are CLEAR. If you can have a cutting sequence, I like that, too. Ive seen patterns that I like that will tell you what to cut and then subcut to make the most of the fabric , rather than just list how many pieces of a certain size you will need. If you include templates, make sure they are actual size, even if they have to be folded, rather than make the customer increase the size themselves. Separate out the "basics"- like directions on how to use a rotary cutter or how cut and sew binding, so those who know how to do those things don't have to wade through them just to get the specific quilt instructions. And it will help the beginners because all the instructions that apply to any quilt will be grouped together . And put everything in an actual zip lock bag, not one that was fused together so it never recloses, or a flimsy paper envelope. Good luck on your endeavor! I saw someone else mentioned this, but have all levels of quilters test the pattern for accuracy and ease of use.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
I like color photos and I like step by step instructions with photos as I'm one of those people that has to 'see' something as well as read the directions.
I second that! Some of us "get it" when we "see it".
Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by jaspersu View Post
I like cutting directions that minimize scraps. I made a quilt from a pattern this summer that I'll swear was written/ designed by someone who likes creating scraps for her stash as much as anything else. Efficient use of yardage and not having a bunch of leftovers is what I like.
Again, I second that - with fabric prices going up & up, frugal use of yardage is a must. One's scrap stash multiplies fast enough without any help!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:44 AM

I like patterns that tell you not to do something. because I tend to want to short cut and that does not always work. I want to know how to stop a long strip from warping when sewing and how to press to stop the same Many patterns say nothing if there is a trick tell me.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Include advice on which direction, to press each seam. Seems like a little thing but . . . I hate having to go back and unpress/repress seams, to get them to play nicely.
I agree, Neesie. I just redirected some seams in a quilt I am making. Fortunately, it is a small quilt. I love Eleanor Burns' directions. She tells you which way to press the seams.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:39 AM

Usually, I am first drawn to a pattern based on the colors it's shown in. Then I try to break it down into blocks to see how complicated it might be. Showing a pattern in different color combos really sells me on it.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:07 AM

I like straight forward directions in quilt speak. Good diagrams. Also, no surprises once you purchase the pattern...like the need for special rulers or piecing triangles. Looking forward to seeing your patterns. Good luck to you!

I collect patterns as well as fabric. My kids' inheritance is tied up in quilting stuff.