Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
problem >

problem

problem

Old 08-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Default Problem

Originally Posted by Nancy11442 View Post
I like to quilt my own quilts. Problem: I am unable to get on the floor to sandwich a quilt. I would love to hear how others have dealt with this since I can't believe I'm the only one. Please help!
I placed a 4x8 sheet of plywood on top of our pool table and then added a cardboard cutting board. It works perfect.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 PM

I used to use the conference room table at work -- taped the backing quite tautly and then made the sandwich and pinned. It was a GREAT table: solid oak and seated twenty-four, so it just went on forever. In addition, the east wall was all window 3 feet from the floor on up! Great natural light! But the executive assistant decided to have the table surface completely sanded and refinished and now it is a total No-No to touch the thing much less stick a pin in it!! LOL The last quilt I pinned up was at the fabric shop in the classroom, but the tables are plastic and they're not very big. Another place to try: the public library has meeting rooms with big tables.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:17 PM

I hand quilt and have floor frames by Vonda. I do not have to pre-baste. I put the backing on the frames, spread the batting, then lay the quilt top on smoothing it out. Then I use straight pins to baste it in place. Very easy, and I can set up a full size quilt in less than an hour. If you hand quilt and have the room, check our Vonda's quilt frames. I think I found them on the web, but maybe on you tube. Can't remember. But I love these frames.

At quilt class, we pushed two rectangular tables together and laid out the backing, batting and quilt top. The teacher had us baste with safety pins. I think that is mainly done for those who machine quilt, but it was kind of nice for storing the sandwich until I could get it on my frames.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM

I just watched a video on another technique. Am going to try it myself. Here is the link There are two so watch them both. Instead of basting like she is you could pin. The second is a continuation of the first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNy...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNy...layer_embedded
Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 PM

i like to put the backing on my quilt wall,(it a king size blanket tacked to a wall)then spray it with quilt spay , then put the batting on the backing spary batting then add quilt front. smooth after each layer make sure all is stuck together .re move and quilt no pinning needed its all stuck in place. hope this works for you as well as it dose for me.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by MattieMae View Post
I used my pretty wood dining table to pin my quilt with curved safety pins, and was horrified to see that I had scratched through the white paint. I thought I was being very careful; glad I didn’t use the tables at the library or community center.

lol. I did that too! Then I had to give my table to my sister because it was too large for my house--she said she liked the scratches--gave the table "character".
Old 08-11-2012, 06:28 PM

I can't get down on the floor either, 'cause I'd never be able to get up, soooooooooo I have my grandaughter do it...LOL Don't know what I will do when she moves out.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Church has a wonderful ping pong table
Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Hubby's pool table is great--Please don't tell him. I use it with a vinyl cover on it. Good height and very sturdy!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 PM

My solution came by accident. My daughter had moved out and left her queen size box springs in my spare room. Well, it was standing there by the door to my sewing room and it hit me. And a design wall was born. It worked out great; it's large, soft enough to put pins in to hold the fabric and yet very sturdy. I no longer have it sitting up against the wall but that spare bed is still there just waiting for me to use the box springs if the need arises.