Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Popularity of hexagon quilts >

Popularity of hexagon quilts

Popularity of hexagon quilts

Old 08-09-2012, 04:04 PM

I used my Accucut to cut the hexs. I used the middle cutter, 1 1/2" I think. Then I basted them onto the cardboard hexs & starched them, took the cardboard out & then stitched them together. It took a little more time, but I didn't have to contend with the bulkyness of the cardboard when I stitched them together & the starch made them hold their shape really well. Finished size of each hex is 1".
Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 PM

What needles and thread do you all use for EPP? I picked up some basic basting needles and off white Gutermann hand quilting thread. Needles seem big.

Which ones work best for basting and sewing pieces together?

Now to order Papers
Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by LuvCreams View Post
Where does one buy the hexagon paper pieces? Rather buy, then cut out. Also what size hexagon is your favorite for hand sewing?

Also, does one just leave in the paper? Have seen tutorials, but they never say.
I buy all of mine from paperpieces.com. Bought a small package of them at the Dallas Quilt Show and few years ago, and have ordered several times from them to make different quilts. They have several ideas on their website to get you started. I'm on my 4th EPP quilt. I love the portability and the preciseness of these quilts.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 PM

Went to a quilt show recently and they gave out papers and squares to make one unit as we were leaving - I made mine and am now anxious to get back to this hand project. I have a project using larger ones with plastic templates with the little hole in the middle - made a small table topper with some of them. I would love to get more papers and make the smaller ones too - too many quilts, too many ideas, too little time ...
Old 08-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Power Poster

for needles i generally use a sharps- or an applique needle....basting needles would be a bit large- a regular sewing needle the is the right size for the thread you are using is what you need- you are (piecing) ...
sharps are my favorite- generally John James- my applique needles are Roxannes.
any thread you piece with is ok to use- i use silk thread alot just because it is strong/fine/and smooth-it is expensive though- i also use cotton or aurafil---just depends on what i have that's the color i want to use & what i grab-
Old 08-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LuvCreamsWhere does one buy the hexagon paper pieces? Rather buy, then cut out. Also what size hexagon is your favorite for hand sewing?

Also, does one just leave in the paper? Have seen tutorials, but they never say.

the papers are left in until you are adding no more pieces to their sides- so you can start removing papers from the center as you go- just leaving papers in any shape/piece you will still be adding to-or you can wait & take them all out at one time- but they come out before finishing the quilt
i do not sew through my papers- i fold the fabric over the piece & run my needle through the fabric only- making tacking stitches at each folded angle- that way i never have to remove the basting- i just pull out the paper pieces when i'm ready & reuse them over & over. I do purchase alot of them from PaperPieces.com- they also have (shape graph papers) you can print off & color (design sheets) to create your quilts/see how different color combo's will look.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Power Poster

you can do alot of different things with hexagons- i'm having lots of fun with my current hex project with all the different shapes/designs- but here is another design i've made a few of these types of hex projects- whole quilts made up of hex's creating a picture-appliqued onto a background- this one is a center of a quilt which has many more elements around it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]355049[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	detail flowergarden.JPG
Views:	1428
Size:	711.7 KB
ID:	355049  
Old 08-12-2012, 02:38 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
you can do alot of different things with hexagons- i'm having lots of fun with my current hex project with all the different shapes/designs- but here is another design i've made a few of these types of hex projects- whole quilts made up of hex's creating a picture-appliqued onto a background- this one is a center of a quilt which has many more elements around it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]355049[/ATTACH]
I have done 2 traditional grandmothers garden quilts..crib size. Do you have other examples. This is great!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:24 AM

Love your vase of hexi flowers, very pretty.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:22 PM

I'm using Inklingo to get my hexagon shapes. You can print directly on fabric. Then you cut them apart with a rotary cutter. The shapes are printed with 1/4" stitch line and hash marks at the corners. Then I just use a running stitch on the stitch line instead of whip stitching them together. So far it's been really easy. Here's the link: http://lindafranz.com/section/inklingo/62#
You will have to copy and paste the the link into your browser.